New book from Groudle Glen Railway

Dava

• RMweb Premium

On the GGR website & Facebook page is information about their new book.

“The Story of Groudle Glen Railway: Encompassing the Glen & the Zoo” by Barry Edwards. It’s hardback & costs £25, don’t know if this includes postage. I’ve asked about length, publisher, ISBN & any release to booksellers outside IoM. 

I have 3 previous GGR books, the most recent Plateway one dates from 1989, but this looks to be the definitive one, would just like a bit more info before ordering it.

https://www.ggr.org.uk/store/

Dava

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

I bought this interesting book at the railway bookshop on Sunday,  having not found it on sale at any of the other outlets on the island in the previous week.    It has an Eric Leslie painting on the cover.    It has a lot of colour illustrations well reproduced and covers all aspects in 25 sections over 144 pages.     I paid £25,  but you will have to look at their website to see if they will mail.    The photographs have been well chosen and I can recommend it.  There are drawings by David Smith that might be the same ones that appeared in his Plateway booklet in 1989.

Edited by Michael Bishop
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend on another forum kindly brought me a copy of the Groudle Glen Railway book back from the IoM gala week.

As expected it is the definitive book on this line which has had a better history since it reopened in 1986 than it did before. The standards of loco builds, rebuilds, coaches, buildings and everything else are superb.

The book is expected to be on sale on the mainland later this year, watch for Nigel Bird Books.

I was delighted in the section on models of the GGR to see a photo of my 012 models of Polar Bear and Sea Lion in a Display case, each with a matching train of the 4 wheel coaches. I built these in 1985-6 to run on my Groudle Glen Railway layout, which I sold to the current GGR President back in 1997, before moving house. I now know what happened to them. The book photo is shown below. Forgive the parallax view and my 1980s modelling. The locos ran on BerlinerBahn chassis! Sadly the Thixofix used in metal-plastic joins perishes after 25 years or so.

Both the book and the railway are highly recommended. Sadly, Mrs Dava does not wish to experience the charms of Mannin,so not sure when I’ll revisit. Should have done a solo trip this summer!

Dava

IMG_1749.jpeg.5916761898b22e6bf52766ba527a8b71.jpeg

Edited by Dava
Spelling
  • Like 2