Kit built "Remembrance" LBSCR Baltic tank

I've purchased by auction a 4m white metal kit built LBSCR Baltic tank sitting on an extended Triang/Hornby chassis and wheels.

I'm interested in finding out more about the kit as research seems to draw a blank.

Any thoughts as to the manufacturer of the kit please?

fullsizeoutput_e58.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it Langley Models?  My late father half-built one, subsequently sold on 'an auction web-site', and I still have one even less built lying around with a (recommended) Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis.  An L.B.S.C.R. 'L', I think.  Sorry, I am no expert on steam.  Hope this helps.

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=11&sort=p.model&order=asc&page=13&product_id=5655

Edited by C126
Added www link.

Yes that's it! Never thought of Langley as OO loco kit manufacturers.

I followed your link and there's a suggestion that Alan Gibson produce a suitable brass chassis and wheels for it, I think that I'll follow that up.

Are you going to tackle your L class?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I fear it is way beyond my abilities, and am wondering about saving money to get a pro. to do it.  I started assembling the white-metal body, and discovered the boiler did not sit 'flat' on the plate between the water tanks but appeared 'splayed' from above and was twisted.  I.e., the cab-end of one bottom edge has a gap visible.  Not sure how to cure this.  They are lovely looking beasties though!

If I can help please let me know, I'm not a pro but I have a fair amount of experience in building and fettling white metal kits.

My main concern with mine is the front was sitting way too high on the chassis, in course of modification but might not pursue that too far as I'm going with an Alan Gibson chassis.

Lovely looking loco and Langley in my view have really caught the essence of the real thing.

• Thanks 1

A peculiarity of these locos is that the top half of the side-tanks didn’t contain anything except air, to keep the centre of gravity low. I have a feeling that on Remembrance herself and 332(?) the top half was a simple cosmetic side-sheet, no tank top at all, I’ve certainly seen a 3.5” gauge model built like that, contemporary with the real things.

Also, beware liveries. Although there are contemporary and slightly later models of Remembrance in umber livery, I have a feeling that she was always grey under LBSCR ownership, then went straight to SR green. Check Bradley Vol 3.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1