RMweb

Mid Suffolk Light Railway "Needham Branch"

Typeapproval

Hello.

Following on from a previous issue, I am starting construction of a fictional MSLR branch. When the MSLR was originally proposed in the 1898 proposal, there were very ambitious plans. There were to be junctions with the Great Eastern Railway at Westerfield, Needham Market, Haughley and Halesworth. Sadly the ambitions of the originators far exceeded the funds available. 

The original concept of the network eventually amounted to one rather truncated route from Haughley terminating in a field outside Laxfield. The other two lines (Westerfield to Kenton and Needham Market to Debenham sadly never amounted to "Plans"!

My "What if" is that the Needham Market was started and in the same way as the Haughley - Halesworth line, progressed someway before the money ran out. The line eventually reached "Akenfield" which became the eastern terminus. 

Because the finances were so dire, the GER took over running the line quite soon after the line was constructed. 

So far the base work has been constructed, (Marine Ply, Liberally equipped with 'Ventilation" holes). The Station Board being 180cm x 46cm, two secondary boards (Country side and Storage sidings) 120cm x 46cm. 

In the periods between construction of the woodwork, a start has been made on the important scenery, Station building etc.. Hornby produced a reasonable building described as "Wayside Halt" which could have been modelled on the current MSLR station at Brockford or one of the ExMSLR buildings at "Mangaaps". 

With some modification I belive an acceptable building can be produced.

Any advice welcome, the last model railway I built was nearly 50 years ago!

Kind regards

David

• Like 4

A good "back story" for what could be an interesting light railway layout. I have thought of doing something similar using the MSLR as inspiration, either a fictional branch as you have chosen to do or alternatively modelling a prototype station, but I am too heavily involved with existing two projects (both ex GWR and Deutsches Bundesbahn BLTs!).

There have been at least three layouts based on real stations on the MSLR, all being Scalefour. Two were built by someone whose name escapes me, but they were beautiful 4mm scale copies of Laxfield and Kenton, both layouts being featured at various times  in MRJ. The third was constructed by a club (I think it may have been Leamington), but I can't recall which stations were reproduced. It did the rounds of the exhibitions in the 1980s, as did Laxfield, although Kenton (which was a continuous layout unlike Laxfield and the other one) appeared later.

What period are you planning to set your layout in? The BR one would be easiest with J15s and 4 or 6 wheel generic coaches being available from Hornby. I assume you've got the Oakwood history of the line.

Best of luck with your layout.

David C

Hi,

I've searched for pictures/video of models of MSLR. There is one I've seen of "Cratfield" but not anything else. To be honest I'm not sure my old fingers are up to achieving the required standard to build a real location. 

As to period, I quite agree BR days (48-52) would be easiest as the Hornby J15 is available and there are suitable coaching stock. The LNER period (1924-1948) would be reasonable as CDC produce J65 body to mount on Dapol Terrier chassis (The J65 was the main loco on MSLR from early on in the LNER period until the J15 took over. The Hatton Genesis four and six wheel coaches were available in LNER livery (All sold out) and though not an accurate model of a specific prototype they are quite acceptable for a "Might have been" branch line.I personally dislike the Hornby LNER equivalents as the 'Teak' finish is "unusual". 

I have decide to try my luck with the GER Just before the 1st world war (Pre Grouping) period). The necessary locos are available from CD., Coaching stock is coming available from Hattons at the end of the year, (Book early to avoid disappointment🫣). There are several goods wagons available in kit form so I should be able to provide enough stock for a satisfactory running session.

The shop at the MSLR cary two books, The older Oakwood by N. A. Comfort and the Wild Swan by Peter Paye. Both have some useful illustrations and plenty of knowledgeable information. Thankfully my birthday was in July! 

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David.

Hi,

Thats terrific, My first "Model Railway Layout" (1953) was made for me by my Dad while I was in hospital as a child.(Long story). Dad used 'Triang" Jinty pulling shortie coaches as the 'Passenger' and a selection of trucks for 'Goods'. All mounted on a baseboard so I could have it on/next to my bed. The station was named "Woody Bay"! Apparently it was a place he went camping with Scouts when he was a boy. 

Kind Regards

David.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2023 at 16:40, David C said:

Two were built by someone whose name escapes me, but they were beautiful 4mm scale copies of Laxfield and Kenton, both layouts being featured at various times  in MRJ.

That would be the late John Watson who actually lived near Diss and where the MSLR used to run. Laxfield appeared in the inaugural MRJ O issue, Kenton was featured in MRJ 72. He later went on to make a 7mm S7 MSLR layout Cratfield which was in MRJ 287 and published after his death in his memory.

Bob

Hi, Thanks for that information. I guess its looking for back copies!

Have seen the model of Cratfield by John Watson. It has been posted 'In memoriam' in/on the GER society site. The modelling is to a standard I can only dream of achieving. 

It is quite humbling to be following in the footsteps of skilled modellers. I shall attempt to produce something that is at least representative of the MSLR.

David.

• 1 month later...

Members

Edit

Posted 1 hour ago

Hello,

Been a while since I added anything, The station building is partly modified, Corrugated roof rather than the plain thing that came out of the Hornby box. Internal walls to the 'Waiting Area' with a central roof support. A 'Gents' added. After much hair pulling I managed to mix a 99.9% colour match to be used on the gents and the 'parcel shed'. The basic framework for the platform is also well into production, A wooden frame covered in 'Art Board' well painted with Shellac and edged with Slaters brick plasticard. I have been experimenting with colour mixing to produce "Suffolk white" for the brickwork. (Please can anybody confirm that the platform was indeed this colour? its virtually impossible to discern the colour from the illustrations in either of the MSLR books). 

As a practical start, I constructed three "Transportable" baseboards in well ventilated marine ply, The staton board 72" x 18" and a country board 48" x 18'" with a four track storage board of similar size. Luckily I have a workshop for the carpentry and a very forgiving 'domestic authority' so I can to real modelling in the conservatory.

Nearly 50 years ago I planned to build a model railway in the loft of our first house. Life as usual conspired to frustrate (The old "Man Plans and God Laughs!) my ambition. A job that took me to Sweden and the Netherlands, three very active children (Dancing, Swimming, Gymnastics, Football to name just some). Does focus the mind away from personal hobbies. 

At the time of this first dream, my wife pandered to what I'm sure at the time she considered an odd thing for a grown man to do, and purchased yards of "GraFar" OO flexible track. In my humble opinion better looking than PECO. Sadly as we know 'Graham Farish' as was, has been absorbed into the Bachmann empire and now is totally N gauge. I did manage to find some OO 'FORMOWAY' points though the cost badly upset my accountant! (Wife, you know what the say about accountants, "They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!).

The basic track plan is down, the 'Station area' laid, at 7' extending onto the 'country board' and the four track storage area laid and wired.

So I think I can say I have actually made a start this time. 

Kind Regards

David.

PS. My Wife genuinely is an Accountant 🤔.

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 22:42, Typeapproval said:

Members

Edit

Posted 1 hour ago

Hello,

Been a while since I added anything, The station building is partly modified, Corrugated roof rather than the plain thing that came out of the Hornby box. Internal walls to the 'Waiting Area' with a central roof support. A 'Gents' added. After much hair pulling I managed to mix a 99.9% colour match to be used on the gents and the 'parcel shed'. The basic framework for the platform is also well into production, A wooden frame covered in 'Art Board' well painted with Shellac and edged with Slaters brick plasticard. I have been experimenting with colour mixing to produce "Suffolk white" for the brickwork. (Please can anybody confirm that the platform was indeed this colour? its virtually impossible to discern the colour from the illustrations in either of the MSLR books). 

As a practical start, I constructed three "Transportable" baseboards in well ventilated marine ply, The staton board 72" x 18" and a country board 48" x 18'" with a four track storage board of similar size. Luckily I have a workshop for the carpentry and a very forgiving 'domestic authority' so I can to real modelling in the conservatory.

Nearly 50 years ago I planned to build a model railway in the loft of our first house. Life as usual conspired to frustrate (The old "Man Plans and God Laughs!) my ambition. A job that took me to Sweden and the Netherlands, three very active children (Dancing, Swimming, Gymnastics, Football to name just some). Does focus the mind away from personal hobbies. 

At the time of this first dream, my wife pandered to what I'm sure at the time she considered an odd thing for a grown man to do, and purchased yards of "GraFar" OO flexible track. In my humble opinion better looking than PECO. Sadly as we know 'Graham Farish' as was, has been absorbed into the Bachmann empire and now is totally N gauge. I did manage to find some OO 'FORMOWAY' points though the cost badly upset my accountant! (Wife, you know what the say about accountants, "They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!).

The basic track plan is down, the 'Station area' laid, at 7' extending onto the 'country board' and the four track storage area laid and wired.

So I think I can say I have actually made a start this time. 

Kind Regards

David.

PS. My Wife genuinely is an Accountant 🤔.

Great to stumble across this thread this morning and have a read through. I think we're on parallel lines...

I'm just starting my own 'shunting plank' based on the MSLR and have got the same building for the same reasons. Mine is set in 1951 and I'm still fiddling with the trackplan - I'm modelling Arcady as per Love on a Branch Line (novel rather than the 1990s tv adaptation) so there's scope for a few changes to real life - it's mainly an excuse for a traction engine in the station yard and a cricket match in what's supposed to mainly be a test piece to improve my modelling skills rather than a full-on layout.

I've looked at the Mendlesham trackplan but think I might get bored quickly from an operating pov, which is tipping me back towards something that looks more like Laxfield. 

Anyway, I've got a couple of questions if I may given you're a couple of steps ahead of me? 

I've already partitioned off the interior (great minds!) and wondered what you've used for the corrugated iron on the roof (and if you just cut it to size and stuck it over the top? I've been staring at mine for a couple of days wondering whether I couldn't just score lines into the resin of the roof....

Secondly, and I throw this open to the wider readership of the thread, given I'm doing the early 1950s I've a feeling the building should be a sort of washed out grey... can anyone suggest either the closest paint or point me to a colour picture of the sort of shade I should be aiming for (doesn't have to be of a building, anything the right grey will do)?

Hi, initially I thought I was ploughing a lone furrow, Its reassuring to see another.

The roof:  I carefully filed off 90% of the resin after removing the finials. Then overlaid using 'Slaters' corrugated plastic sheet and a ridge of 'Evergreen' angle. The illustrations in either of the books show the roof panels simply butted together so no "dividers" are required. I discovered that my wife's Silicon glue worked best on the two dissimilar materials (She a crafter) of Resin and Plastic sheet. The Bargeboards are fabricated from plastic strip.

The Grey is easily reproduced using 'Hycote' Grey Primer.

I have adapted the track plan from "Thaxted" station. As my location is fictitious (The Village of "Akenfield" only existed in the book of the same name) I had no qualms about it not being a copy of any of the MSLR stations.

Of course by 1950 the line was almost totally the preserve of the J15 and the Hornby model is pretty good. Coaching stock is more problematic. Plenty of good RTR freight wagons available though. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

David.

I too have a cunning plan based on the MSLR might have been lines too. They did have an enormous bun struggle at Westerfield and stuck some pegs in the ground ready to start on the Westerfield- Kenton section.......and thats about as far as they got at the bottom end in terms of actual construction. I'm going to imagine that they did get part of the bottom section build as far as a hamlet between Ashbocking and Otley. It managed to keep going till the early 60s with the usual coal and agricultural stuff and also an imaginary MOD establishment of some sort nearby, which was the basic premise for the line not closing sooner. Some of Ipswich's fleet of small shunters will be responsible for working the line (weight restrictions and all that)  and I'm mulling over doing it in P4 and entering it into the scalefour soc  comp too...

Ladles and jellyspoons, I give you Gibraltar Heath........

I also believe that Sheep cove on one of the other threads is taking an unhealthy interest in the MSLR too.......

TTFN

Disgusting of Market Harborough

PS as someone who built and indeed exhibited such a mundane location as Tudwick Road Siding, I've also cast a somewhat interested eye over Laxfield Mill too! 

19 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

Hi, initially I thought I was ploughing a lone furrow, Its reassuring to see another.

The roof:  I carefully filed off 90% of the resin after removing the finials. Then overlaid using 'Slaters' corrugated plastic sheet and a ridge of 'Evergreen' angle. The illustrations in either of the books show the roof panels simply butted together so no "dividers" are required. I discovered that my wife's Silicon glue worked best on the two dissimilar materials (She a crafter) of Resin and Plastic sheet. The Bargeboards are fabricated from plastic strip.

The Grey is easily reproduced using 'Hycote' Grey Primer.

I have adapted the track plan from "Thaxted" station. As my location is fictitious (The Village of "Akenfield" only existed in the book of the same name) I had no qualms about it not being a copy of any of the MSLR stations.

Of course by 1950 the line was almost totally the preserve of the J15 and the Hornby model is pretty good. Coaching stock is more problematic. Plenty of good RTR freight wagons available though. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

David.

thanks - that's all really helpful, and much appreciated. I actually know the remains of Thaxted reasonably well as family friends lived there when I was growing up and I spent more time than was probably sensible crawling around it all. Also a big fan of Akenfield, and Ronald Blythe in general. 

I've got a J15, and a couple of crimson Hornby generics, so let's see what happens...

I'm yet another one doing a Middy...

Been on pause for a bit, but I did build up a recreation of the small station building (as yet interior-less and unpainted), like the one at Brockford, plus the goods shed to go with it (exterior sides cut out, but not assembled). The Middy has a massive advantage of short (100ft) platforms at the small stations, making a full size model possible without loads of space.

I already have a Hornby J15, and planning to get a couple of the Hornby generic 6 wheelers in BR livery which are a somewhat closer match to the real thing than the Hattons ones. I think if I'm brave enough it's actually possible to get a very close match to the Middy's 1st/3rd composites by chopping up the bodies of a Hornby 1st and 3rd class.

Anyway, look forward to seeing some photos of yours, and as and when I get going with mine again I'll start my own thread!

Hi Paul,

Never have too many Middy fans. I see like our friend "Bungus" your planning the later years, after some serious thought of doing the same I did opt to head back in time. The period leading upto the Great War (1910 - 1914) has always been an interest of mine. (I need to confess to being a military modeller in addition to my model railways. I previously had a "Moving Diorama" of the trench railway of 1917, using the Bachmann equipment appropriate to the case).  As I said earlier, in my world following the MSLRs financial problems, it was agreed the GER would run the "Needham Branch" from the off. To that end,  The Genesis coaches are looking good, I have two E22 locos in blue and though not regularly seen on MSLR metals, a S56 from Accurascale on order. On a "Well known auction site" I have spied some 3D GER wagons very reasonably priced, which with a little effort I believe can dress up rather well. I'm very disappointed that Hornby are unlikely ever to produce a Y14 version of their J15. Perhaps one day I shall have the courage to attempt to butcher one to backdate it. I have seen some brilliant conversions so I know its possible its just my lack of skill that disturbs me.

My problem at the moment is life keeps getting in the way of my hobby. I fear it will be a while before I'm far enough forward to be "Photo ready" but I live in hope🤔

Carry on rewardless,

Regards

David.