Deltic on Royal Train 1971

randa2007

Hi everyone,  I have found out that deltic 9021 was used on the Royal Train in early 1971 (January  I think).

I have been searching for a photo but can't find anything. I suspect the loco would have been in ex works condition,  with a fresh coat of paint and looking immaculate so I'm wondering if anyone has a photo or can provide a link for when it was on the train or shortly afterwards  ?

Thanks 

Rob

• RMweb Premium

From Napier-Chronicles:

1X01 Larbert - Stirling (royal train - conveying HRH Queen Elizabeth).

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9021.htm

EDIT: At least part of the visit to Stirling was to inspect the restoration works on the Great Hall at Stirling Castle. These had commenced after the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders left the castle in 1964.

HM made many visits to the Castle as She was Colonel-in Chief of the regiment.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the loco was only added onto the train for the run into Stirling.

Remember she was an ECML loco, so perhaps couldn't be spared for any longer than a quick run up to Stirling and back?

• RMweb Premium

Had another look at Napier-Chronicles as I remembered it also has a 'timelines' page per year/loco.

So under 1971 & 9021 we have:

19/1/71:

1X01 22:40 King's Lynn - Stirling, from Heaton 20/01 (ex D1528) (royal train - conveying HRH Queen Elizabeth).

20/1/71

1X01 15:35 Stirling - King's Lynn, to Heaton (D1528 forward) (royal train - conveying HRH Queen Elizabeth).
Note: This move was originally credited as 21/01 from Larbert to Stirling only. D1528 is believed to be the train loco
from King's Lynn to Heaton and return having worked light engine from Stratford according to the GERS archive
."

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/21-71.htm

(So the the info was updated on this page but hasn't been updated on 9021's page in the 'Locomotives' section, which I quoted above).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1