LSWR G6 in TT

Dasha

Recently I started looking into TT 1:120 as the scale to use for my layout. But I noticed that there really isn't much in regards to British outline locomotives, yet. This paired with the fact I'm located in the US, Modeling in this scale starts to look complicated. This is where the fun begins. I decided, if I want something I'm going to have to make it on my own. Since I recently got a resin 3d printer I might as well give it a shot. Using shapr3d to model this locomotive and some drawings I was provided by a friend I decided to model an LSWR G6 Tank engine. 

this is a first draft model.
I plan on using a 8mmx16mm coreless 12v motor and flywheel from tramfabriek and 3mm society wheels. (Some photos may show a smaller motor as I originally wanted to use a smaller motor but later opted for the 8mmx16mm motor)
will keep this thread updated as soon as i make my initial print.

feedback is appreciated!
Shapr3D8_1_202312_22_48PM.png.6b5359dc6c31c877f8a971002c91b684.pngIMG_0089.jpg.d75367de56e5230c3d06711d57b7db60.jpgShapr3D7_31_20239_00_22AM.png.920f14c236f7c711a2f584e7270cd35d.png

IMG_0090.jpg

Eastleigh_Works_geograph-2654023-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

LSWR_G6_Blueprint (1).jpg

Edited by Dasha
  • Like 18

Looks good but the G6 was a bit of a rarity, generally confined to shunting work, the 02, the same thing with a trailing bogie instead of a set of driving wheels was the mixed traffic branch line version.    The Southern never did have many 0-6-0 tanks  preferring 0-4-4T and 0-6-2T locos for the duties the GWR employed 0-6-0 Panniers and Saddle tanks on

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2023 at 19:42, natterjack said:

Putting on a better pair of specs I can now make out the worm wheel! In my own defence I'm on a very long list for eye surgery.

funny enough, at the beginning of this project I was considering a Rubber band drive due for whatever reason other than the idea being interesting Im glad I went with the worm and gear drive. Though the idea isn't out of the question.

On 05/08/2023 at 07:00, Nearholmer said:

Excellent choice of loco, because small tweaks ought to give you a passenger 0-4-4T too, in the form of the 02 ….. are you designing with that option up your sleeve?

As a matter of fact I own a OO gauge model of one of the I.O.W O2s in my small collection. It's been sitting on the shelf as I work and I think I might have a go. Couldn't be too hard to modify the current model of my G6

Im currently starting the process of printing the parts now, This first test will involve resin printing all parts just to see if everything fits together. This design seems to work and looks like it should work, but we'll Have to wait and see. 

As a side project, I need some rolling stock now don't I? So I've come up with some freelance 4 wheel coaches.

4wheelcoaches.png.bd2f75fa3080a998920b4da451cfbb36.png

photos of printed models of both the G6 and coaches coming soon.

Edited by Dasha
  • Like 2

On 05/08/2023 at 23:04, DCB said:

Looks good but the G6 was a bit of a rarity, generally confined to shunting work, the 02, the same thing with a trailing bogie instead of a set of driving wheels was the mixed traffic branch line version.    The Southern never did have many 0-6-0 tanks  preferring 0-4-4T and 0-6-2T locos for the duties the GWR employed 0-6-0 Panniers and Saddle tanks on

The main reason I decided to model the G6 is because it's a simple 0-6-0 that I could take a shot at working on with loads of easy accessible reference material. The O2 seems to be a project that could be picked up alongside this and released with this once it's done

Yes, the G6 was a shunting and trip goods engine, and the O2 was the passenger variant of the same basic design.

To understand Southern 0-6-0T, you have to get into the pre-grouping companies.

The SER and LCDR had a fair few, the LBSCR had oodles of them, and the LSWR a few, but with the exception of the Terriers they were pretty much entirely goods engines. 0-4-2T, 0-4-4T, 0-6-2T and 4-4-2T were used for passenger services (along with a few oddities).

The only tank engines built new by the Southern were 0-8-0T for hump shunting and banking, and they bought ‘nearly new’ secondhand dock shunters in the form of the USA tanks. Their basic branch line tank engine policy was to progressively reduce the number of designs in use as electrification displaced more modern (c1900) ones from suburban work.

The southern way of work g branch goods was different from the typical model railway image, which seems to have been dictated by GWR West Country practice, too in many cases. Pick-up goods worked long circuits from nodal yards, some visiting more than one terminal branch in the process. and were usually hauled by 0-6-0 tender engines, or on the Brighton section latterly by small-wheeled 0-6-2T with big bunkers.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...