BR Standard 5 liveries on S&D

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to aquire a farish BR standard 5 and intend to convert it to 2FS and renumber it to one of the S&D allocated examples. It has the correct type BR1A tender but is in lined green. BR seems to have started repainting them green from black toward the end of 1956 but a quick look through my collection of colour albums suggests the S&D allocated examples remained black until quite late - though often they are so dirty its hard to tell!

Ive found a picture of 73051 in very smart lined green as outshopped by Eastleigh in 1963 but I would like a green one running before the end of through traffic in 1962. Any suggestions?

Jerry

I've got the book (is it the RCTS book, I cant remember) about the standard 5's and 4's  and it includes details of the repainting, but I'm on holiday in Sunderland at the moment so havnt got access to it.  I'll be back Monday evening so can look it up after that if you still need to know.  In OO gauge few years back  I renumbered a Bachmann green one (cant remember which one now but I checked carefully it was the correct version) as 73054 for a 60's loco. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

I've got the book (is it the RCTS book, I cant remember) about the standard 5's and 4's  and it includes details of the repainting, but I'm on holiday in Sunderland at the moment so havnt got access to it.  I'll be back Monday evening so can look it up after that if you still need to know.  In OO gauge few years back  I renumbered a Bachmann green one (cant remember which one now but I checked carefully it was the correct version) as 73054 for a 60's loco. 

That would be useful, thanks

Jerry

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

This book is very good, it has all the details of everything that happened with the std 5's and 4's in their whole lifetime.  I bought it because the S&D used loads of them, and I knew I'd have to renumber several Bachmann ones.

Youre mentioning of 73054 was enough to set me off on a more detailed search and I have found a picture of her in filthy lined green livery on Bath shed in Hugh Ballantynes's colour Album, The S&D remembered pt1, Book Law, - page 16. 

73054 it is then!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

You'll need to check the tender type and cab 'entrance area' (handrails etc, there are differences) is correct.  I cant remember which Bachmann loco I renumbered now, I've still got its box, but the book showed 73054 was in the correct batch. 

Mine is the Farish, 2mm/N model - at some point to recieve new 2FS wheels and replacement motion.

Jerry

I've just checked the list of locos repainted green in the RCTS book, and compared it to the list of Std 5's allocated to Bath.  The only green loco's that were at Bath in 1960-1962  were 73031 and 73054, but 73031 was only there from 12.61 to 4.62 , whereas 73054 was there from 4.61 to 8.65 . 

73054 had a BR1H tender which was identical to a BR1 but fitted with a fall plate and gangway doors. I've dug mine out (it was packed away mid moving home and building a new layout) and looked at what I'd done to it.  It was originally 73014 so had a BR1 tender (no fall plate or gangway doors) and had (what I'd call) a cab back plate plus rear full height vertical handrail.  I removed these and fitted the gangway doors (I think I took them off a Std 4 2-6-0) but hadn't got round to making and fitting a fall plate.

You said yours had a BR1A tender but the book dosn't show any of those being fitted to the Std 5s, but I think it looks identical to a BR1.  It just has a higher water capacity . 

There is a very good 'sideways on' colour photo of 73054 at Swindon on page 132 of the RTCS book.  It also shows the running plate only has lining at the lower edge.  I scraped the top lining off mine. 

If you need any more info just let me know.

Peter.

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Informative/Useful 1