Spey Models and Tea Room, Grantown on Spey

AndyB

Spey Models and Tea Room* is an unusual - possibly unique -  combination of a well stocked model railway shop and cake emporium!

Located at The Square, Grantown on Spey (PH26 3HG). Tel. 01479 870408. 

speymodels@outlook.com

Limited on-street parking is possible outside the shop. But there are also plenty of spaces on the main road. 

The front of the shop is devoted to providing customers with a wide variety of delicious cakes, sponge and scones (including gluten free and vegan options). Customer toilet available.

The rest of the shop is devoted to model railways. A wide variety of new and second hand rolling stock including N, OO,  O and possibly larger gauge is available.

Alongside the rolling stock the shop has a nice selection of scenic materials and a limited selection of Airfix kits. 

Based on our experience today propriertors Mike and Jenny (who also run Carnforth Models and Pendle Valley Workshop) will offer you a very warm welcome. 

*Usual disclaimer for affiliation, I'm just a happy customer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for posting about this place, Andy. I'm going to be in that part of the country at the end of next month so this will make for a good rest stop before heading in to Inverness.

I shall report on my findings thereafter!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Once again I found myself only an hour's away from Mike and Jenny's emporium. 

20240129_100228.jpg.313c544c1108fe7ee906577e98a2c091.jpg

Well, it'd have been rude not to pop in! 

As usual Jenny had a nice selection of GF cakes and slices on offer...

The gap in the display was a double chocolate sponge cake with chocolate icing  Very nice indeed!

20240129_115131.jpg.f16d31a7fff8a15c47dcc45ed1412cfd.jpg

Mike's display cases have a wide selection of new and second hand items in all sorts of scales. Along with all the scenic materials you'd expect to find. 

I've included this shot of some Union Mills locos as I'm guessing they may be a bit harder to come by now the UM has wound up? So if you're on the hunt for one then...

20240129_114540.jpg.b646486cb5e17be5e6032ba4f8dcd5fa.jpg

So, apart from the cake what did I buy? 

Well a couple of Dapol 7-plank wagons will sit nicely on my layout. And we're priced to slip under the radar when I get back home to England and report in to Mission Control. 

Mike tells me that come the Spring there'll be even more display cabinets to browse. So if you happen to be in that part of Scotland its most certainly worth a detour. 

Cheers for now. Andy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, not so long ago I had a couple of hours to fill there.  I wish I had known about this.

Ah, well.  Next time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/01/2024 at 11:32, PVLR Mike said:

Many Thanks for that Andy, it was great to see you again

Mike

Always a pleasure to see you both.

And it wasn't till I got back home to Hampshire that I found the UM B12 in my rucksack! Sneaky work by my travelling  companion and yourself!!

Hope to see you again in the summer. Andy