Faulty chip?

Wear Valley Wanderer

I recently bought a sound chip, one of the ESU Hi-Fi versions, for my Class 31. When fitted I noticed the sound was working, but the lights weren't. What was really weird was that every time I tried to turn the lights on the motor went dead. And no, I hadn't checked it on DC first (!) more fool me.

I thought that since this was an old model, that the wiring (Which looked a bit wonky anyway) was possibly shorting. So, off I went and stripped it out, re-wired it, and refitted the chip. Same result. 

Along comes a friend with an ESU chip tester, which we duly plugged in. No lights. Every time you turn them on (Or rather try to) the motor dies. Sound is okay though.

Any thoughts on this? I have a feeling the chip may be knackered, and I doubt resetting the chip would do very much.

The seller is away for another week or so, which means I can't contact them and I'm stuck with a workbench full of bits in the meantime!

If anyone can give me any advice I'd be very grateful as I'm at my wits end with this blasted thing.

Cheers,

Mark 

3 hours ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

I recently bought a sound chip, one of the ESU Hi-Fi versions, for my Class 31. When fitted I noticed the sound was working, but the lights weren't. What was really weird was that every time I tried to turn the lights on the motor went dead. And no, I hadn't checked it on DC first (!) more fool me.

I thought that since this was an old model, that the wiring (Which looked a bit wonky anyway) was possibly shorting. So, off I went and stripped it out, re-wired it, and refitted the chip. Same result. 

Along comes a friend with an ESU chip tester, which we duly plugged in. No lights. Every time you turn them on (Or rather try to) the motor dies. Sound is okay though.

Any thoughts on this? I have a feeling the chip may be knackered, and I doubt resetting the chip would do very much.

The seller is away for another week or so, which means I can't contact them and I'm stuck with a workbench full of bits in the meantime!

If anyone can give me any advice I'd be very grateful as I'm at my wits end with this blasted thing.

Cheers,

Mark 

Might be worth resetting the sound file (CV8=8 then recycle the power) but it sounds faulty to me.

When you say the motor dies do you mean sound or no drive?

When you turn the light off is the motor and sound OK?

Neil.

10 hours ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

Cheers,

Mark 

Return it to DCKits, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG and we will swap in Free Of Charge, put in a couple of quid to cover the postage.

All ESU Decoders have a No Quibble warranty.    Charlie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Return it to DCKits, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG and we will swap in Free Of Charge, put in a couple of quid to cover the postage.

All ESU Decoders have a No Quibble warranty.    Charlie

Thanks Charlie, that's very decent of you, and very good service too. I'll get it boxed up when I get back from work tonight. Mark :)