GSM-R radio explained

41 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

In places it sounds like Wikipedia 

Not to mention missing the whole connection with ETCS...

Should also mention that the drone shots are possibly illegal (no drones to be flown above or within 50m of a live railway without permission from NR and he doesn't say whether he has permission, but I highly doubt it), but then they are quite a few YouTube channels that are also possibly breaking the law in regardless to this.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Agree 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

I’ve seen a few posts elsewhere similar to this that look like they have been generated by AI

Clearly the AI isn'rt so intellligent when it comes to teh histpry of the initial ideas behind GSN M-R.  Class 373 Eurostar sets were delivered new with certain features which would only work in conjunction with some then planned applications for GSM-R.  In other wordsw BR was involved in GSM-R development at that time.

I wonder if any loss of NRN frequencies was amything to do with 3G or 4G mobile requirements for extra bandwith?

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping to use GSM-R as an escape route when my Nokia job finally hit the buffers in 2007, but didn't manage to find a way in, despite having years of GSM experience, seemed to be a completely different industry. Ended up at Huawei in Stockholm working on 4G instead. There was a really good website describing GSM-R online, was better than Wikipedia, but I can't find the darned site now 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/01/2024 at 15:57, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if any loss of NRN frequencies was amything to do with 3G or 4G mobile requirements for extra bandwith?

I do seem to recall hearing at the time that the timing of the NRN shutdown south of Stoke Tunnel was due to the band being required for other use

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

Other than the trials in Glasgow

We had a line drawn on the map roughly from Bristol to the Wash and everything south of it was prioritised for change over and legacy systems switching off.

frequency reuse was a factor 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1