South West Digital withdraws from retail market

I'm not sure if this should be here, or in Small Suppliers, but as it applies to digital systems and ESU in particular, I thought this was the best place to post it. Likewise apologies if it has already been covered elsewhere on RMWeb.

You may have seen that many UK diesel sound files for ESU sound decoders previously available from SWD are no longer available from SWD. Instead a range of UK diesel sounds is now available for free download direct from the ESU website for their V5 decoders.

This looks to be an even more radical move for SWD than simply withdrawing from the UK sounds market as their website now makes it clear that they no longer sell direct to the public. They are continuing to distribute ESU products to the trade in the UK. 

In my dealings with them in the past as a retail customer I've always found them to be very helpful. I wish them well in their change of direction.

Edited by GoingUnderground
To clarify that the free files are not the same as those distributed by SWD.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The Sound files which are free from ESU are not as good as the former SWD sound projects, I believe they have 'assisted' ESU with the UK Free downloads, also some of the ESU sounds are 'not quite' correct, such as a Class 47 with the wrong Horns etc. BUT so what, they are free !!!

Edited by charliepetty

I wasn't looking to start a debate about the source or quality of the free sound files as that is covered elsewhere.

I do find the move strange though, particularly if the files are not SWD's but recreations by ESU from SWD's source recordings. I am curious as to the reasons and motivation behind the change. 

Does anyone have any info that they can share with us without breaking any confidences? Or have any views on the merits or otherwise of withdrawing from retailing and restricting their activities to wholesale only? 

For owners of ESU kit that breaks down it seems to be more difficult now for owners to return items to ESU for repair now thatvwe are outside the EU. Previously I just sent items back without worrying about customs, etc. 

Is this the first step of the clearing of the decks in preparation for SWD to become a clearing house for the return of items for repair? It would make sense as they would be much better placed to get the paperwork right than end users, and, where appropriate, invoice UK customers for out of warranty repairs on behalf of ESU. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Suggest asking SWD, as if you are a sound creator like SWD, Digitrains, Howes, Coastal, Wickness Models, Jamie Goodman, Youchoos, Mr Sound Guy & legomanbiffo, it would make no commercial sense to give your files away of nothing.  The only reason that would make sense is:

1/ Too Busy to deal with 100's of customers, as I believe they still supply the trade (Unless they help ESU to do away with that part of the buisness too ) with loads of Free Stuff.

2/ Running down the Buisness (No evidence of that)  but please bear in mind Covid & Decoder shortages will have reduced the ESU's overall  buisness greatly, IE Cash Flow.

3/ Too much for one person to handle especially on the phone as there is no Online Internet ordering system to make things easier, everything comes by phone or mail.

4/ Retirement  (No hint of that either)

The overview could be:

Manufactures/OEM Customers no longer using ESU anymore  (Bachmann, Farish, Dapol, Hornby) + decoder shortages & Cash Flow = Less decoders = Less ESU decoder sales thus Free Downloads = more blank decoder sales.

No Idea if the above is correct or not but it could be a very wise move, or folly.  Time will tell.

The hobby is going through a 'interesting' period and I can see more Hornby style issues in the future, as competition on the big OEM's continues as pace.

Dont forget, change is good for the hobby as the larger manufactures could get greedy and could stop inovating if left alone to trundle along doing the own thing.

• Like 1