Glencoe and Leysbourne Workbench

Rather than clutter up the layout topics with the stock projects, I’ve decided to have a separate workbench thread. 

I’ve got far too many individual projects started but not finished! So to start this topic, I’ll go easy with my first post. 

An Accurascale 37043 being converted to 37111. First job was to take the roof ribs off. The design of the loco makes this very easy, as the magnetic section was lifted off. A fresh scalpel blade and some P400 wet and dry got it cleaned off, before a dusting of primer to check for imperfections. Another quick tidy up with a sanding stick got it pretty close. 

Another coat of primer and left to dry before painting with Rail Grey- had to order a fresh tin. The transfers and nameplates are now on their way too. 

To remove the cab side data panels was easily achieved with a small bit of Brasso on a cotton bud. 

Next job will be to reinstate the 4 bolts on the roof using some very fine plastic rod and then remove the old numbers. Won’t bother with the removal of the old plates as the new ones will easily cover them. 

IMG_0063.jpeg

• Like 1

Also on the go for Glencoe is 37027. I’ve decided to remove the white stripe to make it suitable for late 84/early 85. A bit of patience and some Humbrol enamel thinners has made short work of it. 

I’ve got a second one to renumber as 37022 which will require the same treatment, although it needs round buffers and black headcode boxes. 

IMG_0032.jpeg

Progress on two of the Accurascale class 37s for Glencoe. 

37111 has had its numbers and plates fitted. I forgot that I had 3D printed Railtec plates in my collection so these got fitted along with Steve’s excellent transfers. I’ve done a colour match on the roof but it’s not quite the same so a full spray of the roof required at some stage. 

37022 requires quite a bit more work. It’s had the stripe removed, new numbers on one side from Nairnshire Modelling Supplies. The other side will get done later today. I’ve modified the headcode boxes with a very fine permanent black pen. 

IMG_0071.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

• Like 2

Having resisted the urge to go down the Bachmann route for my class 37s, I paid a visit to my local model shop and was shocked to find myself leaving with 37260 under my arm! As one of my mates put it, “poverty spec” or DCC ready as I prefer. 

As 260 isnt really a West Highland loco, I decided that 264 would be more appropriate. So out with the thinners and Brasso. The black headcode panels came off fairly easily with the thinners. The numbers, plates and stags too, however, I was a little to keen on one side with the numbers and have had to renovate a small are with the Brasso. 

I’ve given the areas that are getting transfers a coat of gloss varnish and let it dry. Hopefully tomorrow get the numbers and the Westies on. 

It’s pictured with the rest of the Glencoe 1980s fleet. And yes, the yellow is the wrong shade….. 

IMG_0076.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Busy few hours in the shed this afternoon. Fitted the speaker clips to my retrofit Accurascale 37s. Decided to take the body off to make it easier. 

I’ve also reblown the decoders with updated sound files from the technical dept but sadly these are still exhibiting the same fault. Simon on their help desk has been superb and will be back in touch tomorrow with the next steps. 

I’ve acquired a 47/8 body shell so have decided to model a very non-descript Cross Country machine. I’ve settled on 47818 so had to remove the numbers, names and the swallow. 

Finally, I picked up a bargain bin Hornby Mk2E coach a while back from the wee model shop in Grantown for £15. It was all scratched and a coupling missing. I’ve now taken some Brasso to the lower part and polished out all the marks. I’ll still need to reinstate the InterCity logos but I’m quite happy with it. 

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0198.jpeg

AE67940C-1709-48C9-B042-32AC85897BE2.jpeg

Only a short spell in the shed this afternoon so I stripped an MOD VDA and primed it ready to repaint into maroon. 

Also did a bit more investigation work with the 3 37s. Looks like the decoders are faulty so are going back to Accurascale for replacement /repair. Big thumbs up to Simon on the help desk for his patience and advice. 

IMG_0205.jpeg

• Like 1

Took a wee trip out to my local model shop and accidentally bought a Hornby Railroad 47! What struck me was the quality of the livery application, it’s very good indeed. Unfortunately the body details are incorrect for 598 but that’s not a huge problem as I’m planning to do 47708 instead. I have a set of tanks, TDM cables plus ordered light kit and new numbers and nameplates. Looking forward to doing a bit of modelling to create something a little unique. 

I’ve already taken the numbers off with a wee bit Brasso and it’s left a nice shiny patch for the new numbers. More as it progresses 

IMG_0225.jpeg

IMG_0228.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much to report on the workbench recently due to work being really busy. 

Picked up a Bachmann 37034 and I’m in the process of turning it into 37039 which was one of the last ED 37s to retain buffer cowling. 

Moving on to the NSE 47, I’ve replaced the tanks with Bachmann spares ones for £5.00! These came with the cooling pipes already attached, so that’s a bargain

Finally, 33065 has been fitted with later style Heljan wheels. When it arrived it had the original copper ones which seemed to gather dirt just by looking at them!! 

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Managed half an hour today in the shed. 

Made a start on the ODA conversion by fitting the FAT19 suspension parts first. Next will be all the brake gear before paint. 

Decoder fitted 47004 and fitting ED plaques to it to make it more Scottish, therefore more suitable. 

Did a bit more to the shed building for Leysbourne and test fitted it to look at where the track was going. 

Finally, unboxed the new TTAs and the pair of bargain 37s arrived. Just waiting on the decoders for them. 

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

• Like 1

Another productive hour in the shed this afternoon. Managed to get the decoders fitted to a number of locos. 37039, 37401, 37423 and 5373. Quite pleased with the headcode boxes on 039. Just needs its numbers fitted then varnished. 

All have been fitted with Kadees too, the various details need added next. 5373 is going to get renumbered as a TOPS one but may get changed into a version with sliding windows. 

Back to work tomorrow at 0426 so no more tonight! 

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

It’s been a while in the making but here is 47708 after she was transferred south. It’s a Hornby Railroad model that was bought on a whim earlier this year. It’s had Bachmann tanks fitted (including the white cooler pipes), Heljan TDM cables, Illuminated Models lighting kit, Lenz Standard decoder and renumbered using a mix of Railtec and Fox transfers. Still to fit Kadees but that’s not exactly a hard task! Once done, it was given a quick coat of matt varnish to seal it all in. Excluding the decoder, the whole project is just over the £100 mark, which is ok for a unique wee loco.

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg