Unrecognised tantalum capacitor package

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

I hope a simple question. I have found that I have a 470uF tantalum capacitor in a package that measures 7.3mm x 6mm x 1.9mm. I have looked on a number of lists of package designations but this one doesn't seem to be listed. The length and width (7.3 x 6) seem to appear but not the 1.9mm height. It would be difficult to buy more if I don't have the package designation.

Can anyone help?

David

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

They sound very similar to the ones Youchoos sell as 470uF 16V flat/wide stated as 7x6x2

Ah yes, I think that may be where it came from. I would still be interested in the package description as it doesn't seem to appear in any package tables.

David

Discrete component package types refer to the length and width. You need an accurate measurement, but I would suggest something like EIA code 2824 or 7260 metric. The 2824 is in thou of an inch and designates 0.82 x 0.24. The metric size is mm and designates 7.2 x 6.0 mm. 

That leads you to https://uk.farnell.com/avx/f751a477mrc/cap-470-f-10v-20-2824/dp/2408402 which is 1.2 mm high. The height can vary with value, voltage rating, etc, ...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Crosland said:

Discrete component package types refer to the length and width. You need an accurate measurement, but I would suggest something like EIA code 2824 or 7260 metric. The 2824 is in thou of an inch and designates 0.82 x 0.24. The metric size is mm and designates 7.2 x 6.0 mm. 

That leads you to https://uk.farnell.com/avx/f751a477mrc/cap-470-f-10v-20-2824/dp/2408402 which is 1.2 mm high. The height can vary with value, voltage rating, etc, ...

That is a different animal, Andrew. This looks like an E package in length and width but is only 1.9mm high (as measured with a vernier) compared to the E specified height of 4.8mm.

David