RMweb

Fitting smoke deflectors to OO flying Scotsman

• RMweb Gold

You'll need to drill four suitably sized holes each side of the smokebox for the ends of the smokebox brackets to fit into, and glue them in.  The hard part is positioning the holes correctly, for which you will need a 4mm scale drawing showing the positions that you can photocopy and use as a hole positioning template; a drawing showing the position of the smoke deflectors is not good enough and will not provide accurate positioning, you need to determine the position of the brackets where they attach to the smokebox.

Edited by The Johnster

I suggest buy some etched Brass ones much stronger and better detailed, the plastic ones will break very easily. Brassmasters and 247 Developments sell them.

The problem with a scale drawing is it doesnt allow for the Smokebox curve for hole placement ,and the the model legs could be in a different position as well. 

I suggest curve a piece of paper to match the smokebox curve and attach with masking tape.

Line the defector legs up on the body. Press the legs lightly onto the paper against the smokebox, marking the postions and then drill small holes just enough the mark the plastic through the paper into the Smokebox . Check to see if they are inline before drilling any further , then only when you are happy they are correct.

Only drill using a handrill otherwise the plastic will melt.

Not a easy job,  Brass will allow you to tweak the final postion. Plastic will snap, which the Hornby ones will almost always do.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2023 at 22:39, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

the only one with a double Kylchap exhaust at that time was Hyperion 

Humorist. 

But anyway, as Mick says, this is clearly a model of FS in the preservation era.  

For the OP, fitting these is a miserable job. I removed the plastic fixing tabs and drilled holes in their place, through which I then threaded 0.45 wire (the end of the wire will be visible on the external faces of the deflectors, so will a dab of black paint). Mick's paper template idea is a good one, and if you still get the holes in slightly the wrong position, you'll be able to bend the wire slightly to align the deflectors correctly. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Might I suggest that you buy the GBL model of Flying Scotsman that has the smoke deflectors fitted. You could remove the deflectors and make a template of where the mounting points are and use that for your drilling. They an be bought from Ebay or direct from Amercom who produced the GBL range. A great source of spare detailing bits. This is a couple of Triang/Hornby flying Scotsman I used Bits from the GBL model to tart it up a bit.

post-21711-0-04312500-1474553555.jpg

DSC_0553.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0548.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG