Heljan AC railbus

Lissadell

I wonder if I could ask for owners experience of this model, having owned/run one over the last few years.

Specifically with regard to the gears ................

The 4mm version seems to suffer from a split gear on the axle.

I think I've heard this has happened on some larger Heljan 7mm diesel locos, but I've never seen the railbus mentioned with this problem.

Have railbus owners experienced this problem (if it exists) and if so is there a remedy?

Referring back to the defect on the 4mm version - I have one of these models and was able to source brass replacement gears which cured the nasty "click click".

Again, with reference specifically to the 7mm railbus rather than the large diesels, are such replacement gears available (if they are needed).

I'm looking to purchase an AC railbus, hence would really value forum members comments (or offers!!!)

Thank you

Adrian

A club I'm a member of has one of the Heljan 7mm scale railbuses. It suffered multiple failures of the worm wheel gear due to the teeth stripping (in my opinion the worm 'thread' was badly formed with the result the mesh between it and the worm wheel was very poor). In the end I altered the chassis to take a modified etched gear box and gear set, however the modification did mean milling away parts of the chassis casting. The model now only drives on one axle, but that has proved adequate for the use the model gets.

Edited by JeremyC

I have a 4mm Heljan AC Cars railbus which I haven't run for a while - this had me rushing upstairs to give it a test! Seems OK, if a little noisy in one direction.

I also have a Park Royal railbus - much the same. But no obviously split gears. Phew! (So far....)

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2023 at 21:24, GWR57xx said:

Ultrascale used to be a good source of brass replacement gears for Heljan locos, but sadly they have had to close their gear business. Sorry, not much help!

afternoon all

i ordered up some Heljan gear’s from Ultrascale only last week and they have already sent an email to say that my order is now complete.  I know that they are going to stop doing some gears at the end of 2023 (something I read on the website) but they are still delivering gears for my fleet. I hope this helps. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2023 at 21:24, GWR57xx said:

Ultrascale used to be a good source of brass replacement gears for Heljan locos, but sadly they have had to close their gear business. Sorry, not much help!

I apologise if I have given out misinformation, but I was simply passing on information that I had been given by Ultrascale themselves.

Quite some time ago I ordered replacement gearboxes for my Heljan O gauge steam locos (43xx & 61xx) and recently emailed to check on progress. I was told that they were unable to fulfil my order because they are closing down their gear making operation.

The reason given is that their lease is coming to an end and the rent being demanded to renew the lease is simply unaffordable, so they will be moving to smaller premises which means there won’t be space for their gear making machinery.

Sounds like it’s a case of get them while you can.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

I apologise if I have given out misinformation, but I was simply passing on information that I had been given by Ultrascale themselves.

Quite some time ago I ordered replacement gearboxes for my Heljan O gauge steam locos (43xx & 61xx) and recently emailed to check on progress. I was told that they were unable to fulfil my order because they are closing down their gear making operation.

The reason given is that their lease is coming to an end and the rent being demanded to renew the lease is simply unaffordable, so they will be moving to smaller premises which means there won’t be space for their gear making machinery.

Sounds like it’s a case of get them while you can.

Please don't think you have given any misinformation you can only go on what you have been told at the time.... I personally just hope they will go on delivering the great service that they do.

When I booked my order 9 days ago the website stated 7 months delivery time, hence why I thought. I just do all my loco's as I am so fed up with the Heljan failure rate of their gears on their earlier models...

I do feel so sorry for all the companies that have had their rent go through the roof but it is a sign of the times, I am just so pleased that they can keep my loco's operational..

Big thanks to Ultrascale for all you do for us modellers.... 😄

Edited by jcarta
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Quite some time ago I ordered replacement gearboxes for my Heljan O gauge steam locos (43xx & 61xx) and recently emailed to check on progress.

Were these existing items or a new commission?

Edited by Hal Nail