Heljan Class 17

Hi all

I am interested in a Heljan class 17, but have read some of the topics here in RM Web that have made me apprehensive about getting one.

Is there any guidelines to avoid certain ones or recommendations to go for certain ones?

Are the more recent releases a better model and better option or do they still have the same quality issues?

There seems to be a big variation in price between both older versions and retailers!!

Basically, trying to get my head round it and any other advice, other than what is already on the site would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at this myself the root problem with the first batch was incorrect fitting of gearbox bearing cups, leading to an overly tight powertrain and motor burnouts. Think this potentially applies to all first batch models, was corrected in second batch.

Edit: it is possible to re-seat the bearing cups yourself, I'm sure the process is described 'somewhere' hereabouts.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The only other issue is to do with the headcode lighting, which is set up as a "letterbox" which is smaller than the actual headcode it is supposed to illuminate. Bearing in mind the real things were really not very brightly lit at all, the Heljan model looks fine when not lit up, otherwise do what I did and install an aftermarket lighting modification (mine was from Jason Edmonds / Stickswipe).

Heljan did offer replacement chassis for that faulty first batch, but you'll have no way of telling for sure that the sellers of any such models have actually corrected the problem. Many will have done so, but it would be buyer beware.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The first batch had the problem with the gear train. It was quite quickly resolved, and Heljan sent out replacement chassis’ to dealers who ordered them.

The easy way to identify a newer version is the packaging. The box lid will have a window and the loco is in a vac formed ice cube clear plastic cradle. Original releases had solid box top and foam packing around the locomotive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1