Opinions on sound files for a Class 52 Western?

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

As the title says, i'd like some honest opinions on whose sound file is the most realistic when it comes to the Class 52 Western. I know it can also come down to the chip / speaker combo as well, but i'll be wanting to put one in a Dapol Class 52 or purchasing one with factory installed sound. As i've never heard a Western in real life (only via YouTube), i'm at a disadvantage in this respect.

Grateful thanks in advance.

My own personal favourite is the Jamie Goodman file available under the Engineman banner from Digitrains .

Allows running and on one or both  engines which also start individually. 

Love the sound of the dynastarter howl on engine No1 .

The turbo whistle can be heard when hard acceleration is initiated .

Great authentic horns too .

Legomanbiffo sound file very good too but lacks top end thrash IMO .Still have it on one of my Whizzo's .

Others like SWD and Digitrains file on ZIMO chips are good too .

Worth looking at YouTube videos at all the above but you know my preference. 

HTH 

• Informative/Useful 1

Like other heritage diesels you need to listen to them working to get the sound right.   The Western is among the easiest as the revs rise with road speed, most sound equipped diesels sound wrong because the full size Diesel Electric locos power units reach full revs before the train moves. The Westerns which are Diesel Hydraulics with three torque converters giving  effective 3 speed gearing always seemed to start at around half revs, and then open up when they get moving being very sure footed .  Max revs was 1500 and they have two power units.  Diesel electrics seem to get up to full revs before the train starts and then shut down to avoid exceeding the traction motor current before opening up again, massive engine speed fluctuations compared to road speed.   I remember being shocked the first time I heard a Hymek  (and the first time I heard a Deltic in full cry)  just how urgent and revvy these beasts are.   Warships and Westerns I remember from the 1960s but I never heard a Hymek until the 1990s    

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've now got my Western fitted with a LokSound v5 and the Engineman sound project. It sounds great, well, once I had replaced the rubbish mini sugarcube that came with the decoder with a Bass reflex speaker that I had spare. However, I wonder if anyone else has fitted theirs with another speaker combination to give even better sound?

On 28/09/2023 at 11:59, Geep7 said:

I've now got my Western fitted with a LokSound v5 and the Engineman sound project. It sounds great, well, once I had replaced the rubbish mini sugarcube that came with the decoder with a Bass reflex speaker that I had spare. However, I wonder if anyone else has fitted theirs with another speaker combination to give even better sound?

All my sound fitted Whizzo's have an EM2 speaker and sounds much better for it IMO .

Only an evenings work to do it.

Requires removal of one of the bogies and cutting of the metal chassis down by a few mil .

Not as daunting as it sounds .

Can post pics if required .

Edited by Albie the plumber
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went with the SWD soundfile blown to a Loksound V5, it gives you the option to run on a single engine or twin engines. I coupled this with a Zimo 55x22x9 dual speaker (4ohm), which fits easily into the available space for the speaker. It produces a decent bass snarl to the engine sound, with other sounds such as horns, coupling, etc. remaining clear.

However, it won’t beat the sound produced by an EM2 speaker!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2023 at 20:19, Albie the plumber said:

All my sound fitted Whizzo's have an EM2 speaker and sounds much better for it IMO .

Only an evenings work to do it.

Requires removal of one of the bogies and cutting of the metal chassis down by a few mil .

Not as daunting as it sounds .

Can post pics if required .

Whilst that sounds like an excellent solution, I really don't fancy having to alter the chassis. I'll keep that as a last resort measure. I'll have a measure up, and see what I can fit in the space currently available. For now, the Bass Reflex is doing a good enough job for a home setting (I have to keep the sound right down, or the household authority would complain), but it would be nice to get a bit more dynamic range on the sound.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1