OO9 Japanese conversion kit for the tomix Percy

mozzer models

well this kit arived today from Japan from here http://www.hpmix.com...iya/A4_1.htm#13 prices include a RTR chassie

& in less than 1 hours work its finished apart from painting

starting with percy

1y8dl4.jpg

& the kit parts (heres what you get)

1yt5fy.jpg

there are 4 parts to the cab 1,the frame 2/3,the cab back & front & 4,the roof

The cab front is 1/2 etched for the fold & the roof is also etch to aid rolling the curve the cab back has tabs to locate to frame & roof the cab front has a tab also for the roof

1yt5f1.jpg

in the bottem right of the above pic is the jig for locating the new foot steps

1yt5f2.jpg

with the body you have to remove the old dome i also removed the rib around the top of the old chimmey before fitting the new one & remove the old cab

the face just pulls out for fitting the new smokebox door heres a pic of the loco before painting

1yt5f3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

If I ever find the space to restart my oo9 layout (last used about 10 years ago)I'd certainly look at the Tomix conversion. Fortunately now my son is old enough not to be traumatised by the Percy surgery.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

It's a really good runner, it has a flywheel which goes a long way to making it much smoother than the Ibertren coffee grinder Cuckoo.

I think it would make a decent base for plenty of kits, it does have a more chunky chassis though, so smaller locos which have limited ability to hide a motor block at the front may struggle to fit on one.

• 2 weeks later...

That is lovely.

If you have no other use for the Percy "face", could you send it in my direction?

Starting with the four Tomix "Thomas" locomotives (Thomas, Percy, James and Henry) I'm trying to build up as complete a stud of Railway Story locomotives in N as I can, so that I can offer to run a "Thomas" layout for exhibitions that want somethign for the kids. I need as many faces as I can lay my hands on, to be able to produce Gordon, Edward, Duck, Donald and Dougie, and others ...

Archived