Shinkansen Terminus Operation

Chen Melling

After searching on-line in vain I hope someone in this distinguished crowd can enlighten me on the operation pattern (and track layout) of the the two groups of Shinkansen terminus platforms at Tokyo main station. The two groups are not connected railway-wise. There are 6 Tokaido Shinkansen platform lines (3 islands) for up to 17 hourly departures: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Japan-s-fastest-bullet-train-to-squeeze-out-trip-every-5-minutes2
But I am more interested in the other quartet of platform lines, serving the Tohoku Shinkansen line and diverging services. Some sources mention up to 15 hourly departures:
https://www.ihra-hsr.org/en/hsr/_pdf/transport_density.pdf
But the timetables I am able to find count the various services separately. 

I am hoping to find evidence of how do they manage to run 15tph/d from only 4 platforms, other than the well-covered "7-Minute Miracle":
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/truth-behind-japans-seven-minute-miracle-tim-romero

I work for Israel Railways, and we are struggling with planning a reliable 6 tph/d service from 4 terminus platform lines, with only 2 services and a somewhat lower standard of end-of-run cleaning.

Any track diagrams (with distances), train graphs etc.?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I am unable to help with the information other than a general observation that the Japanese place an unusual emphasis on operational excellence and attention to detail. I work in maritime, Japanese ports maintain a level of on-time departure (the critical parameter to reduce port delays all around as delayed departure means the berth isn't available for the next ship) and when it is brought up in industry foa the standard answer from European and (god help us) US ports is that their are 'cultural differences' between Japan and other places.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A good place to start is the following book...

IMG_20231009_1018392.jpg.5d2d6de6a7b7ddcfd9e9411465888b8e.jpg

It goes into some detail around the timetable diagrams. There are some rudimentary track schemes provided in here.

In terms of track plans, the plans I have seen (I'll have a hunt around to see if I can find sources for diagrams) are pretty straightforward. The key for the quick turnaround is efficient train prep.

Available here..

https://www.platform5.com/Catalogue/Overseas-Railways/High-Speed-in-Japan-2nd-edition-5HSIJ02

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I do hope you and your loved ones are safe given the horrific events of recent days, stay safe over there!!

Thanks for your concern. These are tragic and frightening days here. Most of my immediate family and friends live in areas which have yet to be affected in this war, but we are worried of future developments and especially about our cousins and nephews serving in the army and involved in the fighting.

• Friendly/supportive 6

The quick turnarounds at Tokyo are in part reliant on Japanese attitudes to cleanliness and order. It is a sight to behold when a train arrives and everyone leaves. As soon as the last person leaves two  or ao cleaners per carriage will go on board, put a small cloth gate across the doors and set to work. At the same time all the seats change direction as well. Within perhaps 4-5 mins the cleaners leave, remove the fabric gate and passengers who had been patiently queuing will board. 

The other factor is the Japanese travel with minimal luggage, and often use a luggage forwarding company. 

Edited by flapland
  • Like 1