Coarse O Kits

Josie

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Whilst my existing layout is paused due to summer activities, the thought of doing some kitbuilding has come to mind and one of my ‘one day I’ll do…’ interests is coarse O gauge. 
My question is whether there are any contemporary manufacturers of kits for Signals and/or Rolling Stock in this style?

I have tried good old Google, but this turned up nothing although I may be searching in the wrong way.

Any help received gratefully! 

Jo

Bruce Palmer sells lots of bits for restoring things like Leeds models, plus wooden bodies, paper overlays etc, so it is possible for him to bring together kits of wagons and coaches as per the old LMC catalogues, including some of the quite advanced ones like the bogie tanker I think. It’s a bit difficult to define a line between kits and scratch building using some bought-in parts in any format, but particularly so in old-style 0 I think.

Another source of bits if you want to go more tinplate-style than wood and paper is Progress Products, who last time I needed some supplied a really good tinplate-style wagon chassis in etched nickel silver. If you are prepared to use modern materials, Smallbrook Studios do things in resin, and if you can find old ABS cast white metal kits they are a good source. 

You can sometimes find CCW wooden kits for sale unmade ….. creating a coach from one of them is definitely not for the faint hearted or impatient, but when they are done well they are magnificent.

The question is really one of the style that you want, because any kit becomes coarse-scale if you fit G0G coarse standard wheels.

I don’t know of any very trad signal kits, but I’ve got a lot of Bassett Lowke signals in scrap condition, which act as a source of parts that can be fettled and reused.  

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Also look for "3H" moulded plastic wagon kit - but they will have to be second hand from someone's "Never found the Roundtuit box"

Also of interest are the old "Highfield" vacuum formed plastic kits - more of a scratch aid, but a good basis.

Finally look at "Smallbrook" and other resin moulded kits.

Regards

chris H

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

@Nearholmer @Metropolitan H

Huge thanks to both of you for the information. Some great signposting of where to look (and the comment about scrap signals for reuse is a particularly helpful idea I hadn’t really considered).

I am primarily looking at the tinplate style of items so will explore those avenues over the coming weeks, seeing as the nights really have started drawing in!

I’d also like to apologise for the late response. I had at the time typed one out and clearly failed to press ‘submit!’

All the best,

Jo

• 2 months later...

just picked this thread up ! Yes I do virtually everthing to make up repros of the Leeds Model co wooden rolling stock and overlays . My friend David Peacock of the Leeds Stedman trust does plenty of bits too .

Re tinplate ...built moderatly carefully and varnished ditto , they look just like  and certainly have fooled other coarse scale people !

The bogie tanker is actually a Mills and includes cast Mills bogies . Also a carriage truck and gas and tar wagons ....

Ive just built a 5 car Leeds Brighton Belle which looks fantastic . Runs on various BL bogies acquired out of junk boxes over the years . It will probably get a Merkur motor bogie .As a guide the bodies , ready made , are £30..Ive got one in stock .overlays a couple of quid for laser copies .

Must get on building those Highfield kits stashed away ....

Bruce

• Like 1