Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway Steam Department Blog

AForce

Hello All,

I thought I'd start a thread for the GWSR Steam Department Blog that I have written since November last year.

20230324_161402.jpg.734ef0ee286e11e1e9c0fedfdf6b2e5a.jpg

BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No. 75014 'Braveheart' on shed at Toddington - 24th March 2023

A little about me. I have had an interest in railways from an early age ever since watching a collection of VHS videos about Steam Trains belonging to my late grandfather. Films such as 'A Steam Train Passes', 'Steam On The Settle & Carlisle', and '3801: A Legend In Steam' from the 'Great Trains' series dating from the mid to late 1980s just might sound familiar to some of you. Not forgetting of course, the heavily used Duplo train set that my parents bought me in my formative years (which broke down!). Unfortunately, the motor in the locomotive had failed and Duplo kindly sent out a brand-new diesel. I must stress that a steam locomotive option wasn't available at the time!

Here's one of the aforementioned VHS videos on YouTube: Steam On The Settle & Carlisle

Frankly, if it runs on rails then you can pretty much guarantee that I'm interested in it, whether that be steam, diesel or electric. I come from an IT support and retail background with aspirations to join the mainline, so it was only natural that I would get involved with the heritage railway movement in one form or another at some stage. I applied to join the GWSR Steam department back in January 2020 and after three years down the tracks, with a global pandemic thrown in for good measure, I find myself still here and strangely attached to the place! I can't fathom why that is, however?

If I’m not cleaning, disposing, or lighting up an engine, I can usually be found drinking tea or scoffing food of some description, normally out of my rather distinctive blue picnic bag, which some in the department believe is akin to Doctor Who’s Tardis – I’m pleased to report that there have been no sightings of the Daleks or Cybermen just yet!

Main Blogger link: https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/

A few of the most recent entries can be found below.

https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2023/04/anyone-fancy-ride-with-u-boat.html

https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2023/05/off-to-races-and-beyond.html

https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2023/07/Dapol-announces-brand-new-oo-gauge-28xx.html

Latest blog update: https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2023/09/blimey-parky-is-that-time.html

Anyway, thank you for your interest.

Edited by AForce
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

What are the latest chances of the freshly overhauled 28xx running this weekend?  It was a "hope" in the railway press.

Facebook says she will be running on Sunday and in Toddington on Saturday for cab visits.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=631657692512310&set=a.480108161000598

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 06/09/2023 at 13:13, KingEdwardII said:

Congratulations on the GWSR blogs, including the steam department. They are all very good and give an excellent insight into the behind the scenes activities at the heritage line. Keep up the good work!

Yours, Mike.

Agree on the blogs for the railway they are great at giving an insight as to what is happening. There is also very much a theme that runs through them and that seams to be about tea and various cakes/doughnuts……….

Keith

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Agree on the blogs for the railway they are great at giving an insight as to what is happening. There is also very much a theme that runs through them and that seams to be about tea and various cakes/doughnuts……….

Keith

As any flu kno, everything runs on cake.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 29/10/2023 at 20:37, mow said:

2807 at Broadway

Superbly atmospheric photo - wisps of steam in the gloaming and light blazing out from the lanterns along the platform. Could almost imagine yourself back in 1906 - apart from the (hard to see) loco livery and the coaching stock...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Superbly atmospheric photo - wisps of steam in the gloaming and light blazing out from the lanterns along the platform. Could almost imagine yourself back in 1906 - apart from the (hard to see) loco livery and the coaching stock...

Thank you, I did wonder if I should have taken a tripod with me. This was a slightly earlier shot.

heavy freight bw 9176

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

2807 is currently rostered on our Santa Experience trains until Sunday 17th December. 5526 is also visiting for the festive season.

Here's the latest blog update: https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2023/12/time-to-remember-what-really-matters.html

3tfyTmI.jpg

fLsPwoA.jpg

My apologies for the lack of updates. Due to recent health issues and starting a new job, updates on the blog mentioned above haven't been as frequent.

Edited by AForce
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

Is the Hornby one that bad?

The Hornby one is out of production and is difficult to obtain new. It does have some compromises.

I am hoping that the new Dapol one will be equivalent in quality to the Dapol Manor that I have, which is superb.

Yours, Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm OK to post this here, but you might like to put the following date in your diaries.

GALA ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re pleased to announce our theme for this year’s Cotswold Festival of Steam; “Western Workhorses”! Join us on 25th-27th May for an action-packed weekend at our biggest steam event of the year. We’re celebrating the locomotives that worked turn and turnabout on the GWR network, with appropriate guest locos joining our predominantly western home fleet of steam engines.

Look out for our first guest loco announcement this Monday, when early bird tickets will also go on sale.

For further information, visit: www.gwsr.com/events/cotswold-festival-of-steam-2024

CFoS_Gala_Poster_2024.jpg

Edited by AForce
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Here's the latest blog update: https://gwsrsteamloco.blogspot.com/2024/04/dusting-off-trusty-keyboard.html

I have a lot of content in the pipeline so there should be more fairly soon. I'm about four months behind at present.

Confirmed visitors for this year’s Cotswold Festival of Steam are as follows:

6880 'Betton Grange' courtesy of The 6880 Betton Grange Society.

2999 'Lady of Legend' courtesy of the Great Western Society & Didcot Railway Centre.

9351 courtesy of the West Somerset Railway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went to the gala, sorry, festival of steam, yesterday.  The weather held and there was a lot going on.  It looked as if every single piece of coaching stock had been pressed into service for the day.  Betton Grange looked good, as did all the locos.  P&O (although not really a "Western Workhorse") must only have a couple of years left on its ticket and we'll miss that when it's gone - we rode behind it when it was only just back in service.

Edited by rogerzilla