Wagon kit building - clamps and jigs

Hi Steaurt ,

No, I can't do either. the pic I posted was on a website years ago and I saved a copy of it. I never purchased one ( as my post maybe suggested ). The details on the pic don't generate any hits these days. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one yourself. As others have pointed out you do need a flat surface somewhere on the wagon to use as a reference for the clamping. TBH I have assembled a few wagons recently and just eyeballed the joints. Luckily they were vans as I often find issues with open wagons as the sides tend to bow inwards 6 months after I make them. Not to bad on a wagon that will be loaded but not good if you want to run it empty.....

Rob

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I think you can over engineer this. I use a set square and corner bracing if the floor isnt sufficient but getting the sole bars properly aligned so the wheelsets aren't set on a slight skew is probably as crucial for free running. Since they invariably have to be fettled to clear buffer beams they aren't always going to end up identical length.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2024 at 23:55, robmanchester said:

Hi Steaurt ,

No, I can't do either. the pic I posted was on a website years ago and I saved a copy of it. I never purchased one ( as my post maybe suggested ). The details on the pic don't generate any hits these days. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one yourself. As others have pointed out you do need a flat surface somewhere on the wagon to use as a reference for the clamping. TBH I have assembled a few wagons recently and just eyeballed the joints. Luckily they were vans as I often find issues with open wagons as the sides tend to bow inwards 6 months after I make them. Not to bad on a wagon that will be loaded but not good if you want to run it empty.....

Rob

I store the guilty party for a while with a slightly overlength bar ( high-tech - a screw and nut allow adjustment) between the sides. Sometimes it even works!

Edited by Il Grifone
letter lost in cyberspace - possibly the fault of the cat on my lap!
  • Like 1