British Rail GPS and limit of shunt signals 1988

bootneckbob

Apologies for not searching in here but I'm going straight for someone seeing this who was probably working on the railway at the time and give me a straight answer.

I'm modelling Exeter St Davids 1988 and wanting to confirm if the limit of shunt signals were fixed double red in a GPS type enclosure, or red white (fixed again). I thought the GPS would be red white and double white (for proceed) or were they also dual lights by then so double red then double white to proceed? 

Any help for the local answers for the time period much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I can’t confirm what was provided at Exeter but many locations provided a square illuminated limit of shunt indicator. Double red GPS are a more recent development. I would doubt very much that a red/white GPS would be used. 

• Agree 1

The Signalling Record Society lists the notices for the Exeter MAS, stage 1A and 1B March April May 1985.

I am not a member so do not know if the notices they hold show all the signalling arrangements,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
spelling

• RMweb Premium

The only Limit Of Shunt in the St. Davids area is on the Up Main in the rear of E35 signal and has been a double red GPL since the Panel related resignalling in the early 1980s.  All the GPLs would have been showing red/white when "on" when first installed but, like the rest of the country, were changed to double red in the late 1990s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2023 at 12:23, Mike_Walker said:

The only Limit Of Shunt in the St. Davids area is on the Up Main in the rear of E35 signal and has been a double red GPL since the Panel related resignalling in the early 1980s.  All the GPLs would have been showing red/white when "on" when first installed but, like the rest of the country, were changed to double red in the late 1990s.

Is there no longer one on the Up Main at the other end?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is there no longer one on the Up Main at the other end?

Nope, apparently not.  There is a GPL (E661) on the DM up at Cowley Bridge but that's for up direction shunt moves to the UM and/or Down North Devon.  I've just checked my pics of the Panel to make sure I haven't missed something - I haven't!  🙂 

Err, but why would there be a LOS on the Up Main at the London end?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Nope, apparently not.  There is a GPL (E661) on the DM up at Cowley Bridge but that's for up direction shunt moves to the UM and/or Down North Devon.  I've just checked my pics of the Panel to make sure I haven't missed something - I haven't!  🙂 

Err, but why would there be a LOS on the Up Main at the London end?

Ah, me getting confused over my Ups & Downs and signal numbers - probably an age thing!.  661 is the one is effectively the one I meant although I thought there was something closer in (and there isn't!).  Time to go back to sleep..