Emblaser 1 Adjustment.

I've just set up my Emblaser 1 to do some cutting - it hasn't been used for over a year. :-)     I'm doing some double sided etching and cutting and I'm setting up a guide to ensure accurate registration when I flip the MDF over.    In setting up the guide,  I used the Emblaser to cut a right angle corner based on (0,0) on a bit of MDF and I noticed that the cut right angle was not at 90 degrees,  with the angle probably nearer 91 - 92 degrees.

I can't remember if this is a problem that can be adjusted and whether that is mechanical or by programming the control board.     Anyone remember what the adjustment procedure might be.   I have a faint memory that I might have done this before. :-)

I went looking for the Darkly Labs forum but that seems to have disappeared with only a list of old topics remaining.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

I don’t remember having to do anything like that when I set mine up, so I’ve just checked the installation and user manuals. They don’t mention any such adjustments.

Have you lubricated all the slide bars and checked your belt tensions?

Is there anything preventing the flexicable from moving freely (it’s pretty well fully extended at (0, 0)).

When it’s drawing a right angle at (0, 0) it only needs to move in one axis at a time, so if you’re not getting 90 degrees there must be some cross-feed. I.e. when it moves the X motor there is also a slight movement in Y, or vice versa, or both. That could be due to a belt slipping on the motor drive gear, the belts dragging on each other or the carriages not sliding smoothly on the bars.

During assembly, at step 2 (attach corners & brackets) did you follow the instructions exactly? I did, and found that the bolt holding the little bracket at the front of the machine directly above where the belts cross fouled on the top belt. I just reversed the bolt, so the nut is on top.

1 hour ago, GWR57xx said:

I don’t remember having to do anything like that when I set mine up, so I’ve just checked the installation and user manuals. They don’t mention any such adjustments.

Have you lubricated all the slide bars and checked your belt tensions?

I dug out my copy of the manual as well and had a read through it.   What jogged my memory was your mention of belt tensions and I had a read through the belt setup again and found that both X carriage bodies were not touching the frame at the bottom of their travel,  with the right hand one being about 1.5mm away from touching.     That would have put the X carriage at about the angle which would have given me the out of square error.    So it was a bit of a fiddle to get the bottom belt re-tensioned to get the carriage ends both touching.   Another test cut gave me a corner which was pretty well spot on.  

I'm not sure how long it might have been like this - whether I originally set it up wrongly or the belts have stretched a bit after seven years - probably the latter since I'm sure I would have set the belt tensions up properly when I built it.

Jim.

• Like 1