Hornby J15

SweenyTod1

I have recently stripped down my J15 BR version with the plan to revert it to LNER pre WW2 period. So far I have removed the handrail "lumps" and filled the original holes in the boiler. Decals have been rubbed down and  careful painting will be done, masking off details I wish to preserve. I can then re-drill the holes in the correct position and complete re-assembly, lettering and numbering.

Going back to the "lumps" issue I cannot understand how Hornby got that part so wrong, especially as there is a working example that their researchers could climb all over to photograph important details like that. To my knowledge, no-one has ever made such a glaring error like that before!!? No matter, onward and upward, once all this unnecessary work is complete, I will have the J15 added to my working stud.

Somewhere in the past, I think I remember this topic has been mentioned before. I have trawled through 30 pages in this category, but not found it yet. If anyone can direct me to it, I would appreciate it, thanks.

Happy modelling folks,

Tod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I have recently stripped down my J15 BR version with the plan to revert it to LNER pre WW2 period. So far I have removed the handrail "lumps" and filled the original holes in the boiler. Decals have been rubbed down and  careful painting will be done, masking off details I wish to preserve. I can then re-drill the holes in the correct position and complete re-assembly, lettering and numbering.

Going back to the "lumps" issue I cannot understand how Hornby got that part so wrong, especially as there is a working example that their researchers could climb all over to photograph important details like that. To my knowledge, no-one has ever made such a glaring error like that before!!? No matter, onward and upward, once all this unnecessary work is complete, I will have the J15 added to my working stud.

Somewhere in the past, I think I remember this topic has been mentioned before. I have trawled through 30 pages in this category, but not found it yet. If anyone can direct me to it, I would appreciate it, thanks.

Happy modelling folks,

Tod

I think you might be referring to my blog, unfortunately this was before the great picture loss.

the last comment has a link to the jig I made for redrilling the handrail holes on thingiverse

David

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Going back to the "lumps" issue I cannot understand how Hornby got that part so wrong, especially as there is a working example that their researchers could climb all over to photograph important details like that. To my knowledge, no-one has ever made such a glaring error like that before!!?

Not a mistake, but a regrettable design decision that makes casting the boiler simpler as the holes for the handrail pillars are horizontal.  I think the LSWR Black Motor was the same and Oxford also did it with their J27.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Not a mistake, but a regrettable design decision that makes casting the boiler simpler as the holes for the handrail pillars are horizontal.  I think the LSWR Black Motor was the same and Oxford also did it with their J27.

In this day and age such a deliberate act of commercial  vandalism surely cannot be justified! T.W.Wordsell and James Holden must be spinning in their respective graves!! A shame on Hornby for allowing this insult, if indeed what you say is true. I'm even more spurred on now, to right this wrong, to correct my loco. I've been making models, plastic, whitemetal and brass, for some 50 years, so I'm very capable to re-drill the holes and fit scale handrail knobs where they should be.

Tod

• RMweb Premium

I used the original knobs and handrail when I re-worked my J15. The handrails are in the right place, it's just the angle of the knobs that are wrong.  Some details on this thread of mine as part of the conversion to P4.

Bob