Flangeway end gap

Timber

Hi - I am making a point in S Scale.   It is curved template sitting on a 50 inch radius.   As per S Scale standards I have increased both the gauge and flangeway to compensate for the radius.

My question is - typically on the prototype, when the flangeway was increased would the flangeway end gap also increase?

I model the Brecon and Merthyr Railway....I appreciate that there is probably no one out there who knows what the B&M would have done.......but typically what would happen in these situations..?

Many thanks

Edited by Timber

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Timber said:

Hi - I am making a point in S Scale.   It is curved template sitting on a 50 inch radius.   As per S Scale standards I have increased both the gauge and flangeway to compensate for the radius.

My question is - typically on the prototype, when the flangeway was increased would the flangeway end gap also increase?

I model the Brecon and Merthyr Railway....I appreciate that there is probably no one out there who knows what the B&M would have done.......but typically what would happen in these situations..?

Many thanks

Hi,

The end gap increases by the same amount as the increase in the flangeway, matching the gauge-widening. The normal prototype end gap is 3.1/2" and this can increase up to a maximum of 4.1/4" with gauge widening. Special check rail chairs are made for this purpose.

Strictly speaking, when there is gauge widening, the check rail remains where it was, and the stock rail is moved away from it.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1