RMweb

Bachmann Spectrum #86005 Dash-8 (Santa Fe Warbonnet) - Service and conversion to solid chassis.

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

In a moment of madness I bought the above but I know absolutely nothing about it apart from it's heavy and all wheel drive.

Bought as working. Is it DCC ready or am I going to do some hard wiring?

Anything else I should know?

EDIT

I've downloaded the service sheet and it seems to suggest #86005 has a decoder if I am reading it correctly.

Edit

From further investigation I think this is an earlier loco in the wrong box, unless Bachmann didn't change the number when they switched from split to solid chassis.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I decided I would find out what decoder as it seems a bit short on options, so I took the body off.

I found that it was not DCC ready but had been modified to take a decoder by milling out part of the (split) chassis and hard wiring it.

It turns out to be a Lenz LE103XF, 3 function decoder.

The other thing I found was that the lighting is bulbs not LEDs which surprised me and there are 4 lights, although one consisting of two bulbs was tucked into the chassis and will never illuminate anything visible.

Here it is with the wiring all pulled out, most was stuck down with black gaffer tape.

I think a complete strip down and rewire, using LEDs is called for and a service of the mechanicals while I'm at it.

No sign of Mazak rot, fortunately.

Dash8.jpg.9f89c5fc1496778c5f55baebc7198b59.jpg

As you operate the function keys, the two end lights dim and the middle pair come on.

They also work directionally when on full brightness.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I've decided on a complete rewire including doing away with split chassis connection from the trucks, I'll also add pickups for the centre wheelsets (it only picks up on the outer ones)

I've checked the motor and that seems OK with smooth operation from a very low voltage (DC).

Some new Lenz decoders in the post, I'm going to use one of those.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have given all the mechanicals an ultrasonic clean and converted the bogies for independent wiring rather than to the split chassis, which itself is now held together with 6BA bolts & nuts still using the original spacers to keep the distance correct although now electrically solid.

I have managed to mostly straighten the bent handrails with gentle persuasion.

802a.jpg.0af93b9281e063de089e28a3306114f9.jpg

Body now goes on and off easier: It was tight fit before.

802b.jpg.640c4edb877afae72790c933330329c3.jpg

Bogie showing modification.

Curved contact to chassis cut off, lug left for wire.

part of the cut off spring used to make a centre wheel contact:

802c.jpg.e21e74bcbb5bcc960a02b34cfc3c87c7.jpg

Anybody tell me what the lighting should be doing?

The white and yellow wires presumably for front and rear headlights.

The green went to the two lamps wired in series and tucked in over the motor and not illuminating anything, however operating F1 dims the front & rear lamps and those lights come on.

The was another lamp wired between the blue and the two lamps on the white and yellow meaning it was always on if either or both of the front and rear lights were on.

The body looks like it originally had a lighting board fitted, but that had been removed.

I notice something about "Rule 17". What is that?

• melmerby changed the title to Bachmann Spectrum #86005 Dash-8 (Santa Fe Warbonnet) - Service and conversion to solid chassis.
  • RMweb Premium

I've now re-assembled and wired the chassis and tested it on DC

It runs much better, with a starting voltage on pure DC of around 2.5v.

I've also now put a DCC decoder in and using a piece of strip board wired everything to that, leaving the contacts accessible for the lighting.

802d.jpg.dd1a94cf366034fa3baad72a7b39faa4.jpg