Leysbourne 1980s NSE 4mm layout

Glencoe Model Railway

Whilst Glencoe has been the focus of my attention recently, I also have a second 00 gauge layout on the go at the moment. 

Leysbourne is another “what if” layout based very loosely in the Isle of Sheppey, set around the period 1986-1993. I’ve taken some serious liberties with the freight stock and locos but the passenger fleet is a mix of EPB and VEP types. 

The idea is that it’s a truncated line that used to be double track but cut back when traffic dropped off in the late 70s. There is a long platform which holds 4 coaches and a short bay platform which normally holds 2 coaches. 

For freight, there is a cement plant with a single siding plus a couple of engineers sidings for added shunting. 

IMG_7909.jpeg

IMG_7913.jpeg

IMG_7929.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8401.jpeg

• Like 5

As the layout developed, I tweaked a few bits of the track as I wasn’t entirely happy with how it was developing. I originally planned to have a couple of hidden sidings behind the cement worked but access was extremely convoluted. I’m all for a wee operating “wrinkle” but this was full blown PiTA. 

With the factory moved up against the wall, it leads to a better operating experience, and coupled to the storage yard extension, makes much more operating sense. 

IMG_8412.jpeg

IMG_8414.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8785.jpeg

• Like 5

The extension is not complete with regards to track as I have done some remedial work to the boards so should get this part progressed during the winter. 

Back on the scenic section, I have built the station platform using a piece of MDF routed to shape and followed the method that Richard at Everard Jct uses of individual slabs and tile grout for the platform surface. The buildings are all Scenecraft products and the canopies have been modified to wrap round the building a bit better. 

In the engineers yard, I have started building a loading bank for the wagons to use and whilst the basics are there, I have a long way to go with the detailing. 

IMG_8924.jpeg

IMG_8950.jpeg

IMG_8951.jpeg

IMG_8956.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

IMG_8970.jpeg

IMG_8971.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_9011.jpeg

IMG_9024.jpeg

IMG_9038.jpeg

• Like 18

• 1 month later...

Have cleared all the workbench materials off the extension boards and started to lay out the track for inspiration. There will be two carriage sidings, three stub ends which imply that the yard extends well beyond the scenic break, two loco holding sidings and an entry/exit track. I’ve to get another couple of points before I can get it laid but as I’m long weekend from next Friday, I’ll get it sorted then. 

I’m thinking that it’s going to represent a yard that’s quite far away from Leysbourne so can have different stock needs! 

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg

• 2 months later...

A period of reflection on what I wanted to do with the layouts has resulted in the decision to turn Leysbourne into a roundy roundy layout. Two tracks will run along the back part of Glencoe and will get hidden by scenery…..hopefully! The woodwork is nearly complete and the next job is to start laying the track. Sadly the arrival of winter, it’s a bit chilly to start that today but I have been to the local model shop to get more track and cork so it’s just a case of waiting on the temperature to rise a bit! 

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0556.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi Eddie, I really like what youve done.

Ive always had a hankering to do a SR layout, mainly influenced by Tonbridge West Yard.

As a kid, the Southern was so foreign with its specific traction and enormous variety of engineering stock that ultimately offers such a great range for us to model.

Cheers :)

• Agree 1

Thanks for your kind words

Oddly, TWY was the first NSE layout I saw on its first visit to ModelRail Scotland many years ago. It seemed so exotic to a wee lad from the West Highlands! Roll on many years and I saw it again and it still held all its charm, and all those memories came back. 

In the meantime, I became really good friends with a couple of SR modellers who have guided me through the process of building Leysbourne. 

I’ve also learned loads of new skills and different products from watching YT channels such as Everard Junction, Luke Towan, Chadwick etc. 

Cheers

Eddie

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Glencoe Model Railway said:

Thanks for your kind words

Oddly, TWY was the first NSE layout I saw on its first visit to ModelRail Scotland many years ago. It seemed so exotic to a wee lad from the West Highlands! Roll on many years and I saw it again and it still held all its charm, and all those memories came back. 

In the meantime, I became really good friends with a couple of SR modellers who have guided me through the process of building Leysbourne. 

I’ve also learned loads of new skills and different products from watching YT channels such as Everard Junction, Luke Towan, Chadwick etc. 

Cheers

Eddie

Nice layout build here,ile follow your progress now ..

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Glencoe Model Railway said:

Thanks, now that I’ve built the boards, progress should be a bit more rapid now! 

Cheers

Sounds great,like me soon comes together quick,im helping group newbys to hobby build full size exhibition layout at our merseyside club..

just updated progress on here..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simplified the original West junction. Slight alignment tweaks to do but so far so good. I’ve still to install the point for the stabling area so that will take the worst of the kink out on the second pic. Next step is for more droppers not too many this time. Will rejuice the frogs at the same time.

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Like 3

On 04/02/2024 at 15:28, Glencoe Model Railway said:

Managed to finish the loops at the east end of the layout. I also have installed an EMU berthing siding which can hold a 4 car with ease. 

Next job will be to rework the west end to add a couple of loops and some form of loco stabling area. 

IMG_0648.jpeg

Layout looking good now,had good catch up on your write ups and photos..

• Thanks 1

Yeah, there is a small corner piece of plywood to be fitted! The point actually has a track in through the tiebar just now so I don’t set it in error. 

Been fascinated by NSE ever since I first saw Tonbridge West Yard at Glasgow way back in its first visit. I also have a couple of very good friends who are SR modellers so I suppose it was inevitable that one day I would build a layout in the NSE glory days. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...