Bachmann GWR 64xx Panniers - other GWR versions?

Guardian

Hi,

I wonder if Bachmann intend to do any other GWR Version of the class 64xx Pannier Tanks than the "GWR" version.

The have made the third number of the "GWR" livery as yet (31-635, 31-635A, 31-635B) , but none of the other GWR liveries (shirtbutton, Great Western letters). I would go for both of them...

What may be the reason for that? Rebuilds in the 1940s?

Best,

Mark

11 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Hi,

I wonder if Bachmann intend to do any other GWR Version of the class 64xx Pannier Tanks than the "GWR" version.

The have made the third number of the "GWR" livery as yet (31-635, 31-635A, 31-635B) , but none of the other GWR liveries (shirtbutton, Great Western letters). I would go for both of them...

What may be the reason for that? Rebuilds in the 1940s?

Best,

Mark

I'm not an expert, there are better people out there but I think the problem is that the Bachmann 64XX is moulded with a top feed which therefore dates it from 1940's onwards and earlier GWR liveries would be inaccurate for it.

The same is true of all Bachmann's panniers, its such a pity as my interest lies in the 1930's and I would have brought more. I'm hoping the new kids on the block will deliver... 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

I'm not an expert, there are better people out there but I think the problem is that the Bachmann 64XX is moulded with a top feed which therefore dates it from 1940's onwards and earlier GWR liveries would be inaccurate for it.

The 54XX, 64XX and 74XX all had the Standard 21 boiler; the first fitted with top feed appeared on 5418 in 1943 according  to "Pannier Papers 7". Post-war batches of 74XX were built with top feed. As usual, boiler changes could mean that a loco could change from a top feed boiler to one without, and some may never have had a boiler with top feed.

1 hour ago, Star-rider said:

The same is true of all Bachmann's panniers, its such a pity as my interest lies in the 1930's and I would have brought more. I'm hoping the new kids on the block will deliver... 

Ah, that makes sense....as I am also in the 1920s and 30s, I'll have to wait...or make an exemption...