Multiple locos failing, help!!!

jonhinds

I’m at a loss as to what’s going on. I recently dug out my N gauge layout after a few months in storage. I’ve had no previous issues running from an NCE Powercab. However, one of my locos suddenly stuttered and failed, and after reinstalling the blanking chip wouldn’t even run on DC. Just now, a second loco has stopped running on DCC - lights work but nothing else. I’ve reset CV8 to 8 but still nothing (Bachmann/rebranded Zimo chips).

Is there some sort of power spike at play here? Have I damaged the motors? I’m baffled.

There's usually smoke or the toasty smell of 'incinerated something' if there's a failure on the loco, and you aren't reporting these, so nil desperandum. With decoders removed, start with a DC supply test to the motor terminals.

With nothing on the layout, try the coin test to see if the DCC system trips out as it should.

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's usually smoke or the toasty smell of 'incinerated something' if there's a failure on the loco, and you aren't reporting these, so nil desperandum. With decoders removed, start with a DC supply test to the motor terminals.

With nothing on the layout, try the coin test to see if the DCC system trips out as it should.

Coin test passed so it’s not the system!

Forgive my complete electrical ignorance but how do I perform a DC supply test? I have a cheap multimeter but haven’t got round to working it out.

If the layout has been in storage and unused for a while then I'd start with a thorough clean of all the track with IPA.  Then you'll also need to clean the wheels of the locos - especially any you have run on dirty track.    Finally you may find that your locos need to run in a bit at mid speed.   

• RMweb Premium

There have been some instances of solidified grease mentioned in recent threads, so if you can remove the bogies and check for full and free movement of the gear train before applying power to test the motor that would probably be a good idea.  You obviously don't want the motor straining against a jammed mechanism.