N gauge Grange running secrets?

rogerdee

Hi guys can anyone help me with a bad running Grange, it's driving me crazy,it doesn't like corners it doesn't like points and it definitely don't like going backwards. Is there a secret to making it run well or should I just give up and leave it a a shed queen.

The wheel back to back is correct and it runs sweet in a straight line.

• RMweb Gold

Is the brake rigging fitted? If so is there clearance between it and the rails? Many years ago when Dapol brought out the B1 I saw one that was more of a sledge than a loco. Derailed on points, and the rigging caught in the sleepers going backwards. Removing the rigging removed the problem.

18 hours ago, rogerdee said:

As far as I can tell it is it looks just like all the other Dapol locos

Have you had any success with the loco? The only other thing I can add is to also slacken off the screw that retains the pony truck a half turn too. 

Ok so I have now got it running 99% ok. The front wheels on the pony truck were hitting the front frame rails. I know the purest will not be happy but I filed these down a bit to give the wheel some clearance. Unless you are at footplate level looking up, from my normal viewing distance it looks no different but the handling is and I now have a usable locomotive.