Bala Model Show 21st and 22nd September 2024 - the search begins

MatP

Hi All,

I would very much appreciate some help in sourcing some locally-themed or locally-located (!!!) layouts for the 2024 Bala Model Show. We had 30 layouts at the 2023 Show and those with a strong local theme were very popular. For instance, one of the  highlights of the Show was when a 91-year old lady, who had been born in the old signalman's house at Drws-y-Nant, saw a miniature version of that house on the 2mm Finescale layout modelled of the station.

We will endeavour to keep the Show 50/50 narrow gauge and standard, and have some very interesting possibilities already. We are happy to welcome layouts representing any part of Britain or the rest of the world, in any era, gauge or scale, and in any format from micro- to mega-, and all suggestions are welcome.

All that said, I have found since I took over the Show that the hardest type of layout to source is Welsh-set standard gauge, particularly 4mm and larger. That strikes me as odd, but perhaps I am not hanging out with the right people. 

Suggestions based on more than a guess that the owner of a particular layout would be interested in our Show would be particularly welcome!

I already have quite a long list of layouts that can't come and am in contact with most of the model railway clubs of northern Wales and across the border. We can't afford to pay for accommodation, I'm afraid, but we can supply free pitches for camper vans and the like. We do of course pay travel expenses but the total exhibitor expenses bill for our 30-layout 2023 Show was c.£800 and we can't go much over that. 

Oh, and by the way, our 2024 Show dates, 21st and 22nd September, are the weekend before Stafford, in spite of what some show brochures may have suggested!  

Best Wishes / Cofion Gorau,

Mat P. (Bala Lake Railway Society Secretary and Bala Model Show Organiser)