Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help Required for New N-Gauge Layout

Hewlett87

Hi All, 

I am just iust the middle of getting back into the hobby and I am planning a new layout in N-gauge using anyrail 6, I am mainly creating the layout in memory of my later father who the Layout will be named after, I have the nucleus of an idea of a through station with goods shed of to one side and a fidlle yard at the back to the layout(please see attached for more detail) Biggest loco that will be in station will be Class 68 TPE with 4 mark5a coaches for reference. I am trying to get all the curved radius for flex track correct hence the set track on the design as I cant seem to get anyrail to behave. Any Help would be mostly appreciated to get this layout off the ground.

Layout measurements are as follows:

2.8m x 1.2m along one side of a conservatory.

DCC Controlled

Coblat Ip digital Point motors will be fitted to a Digitrax system more than likely.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 224008.png

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hewlett87 said:

I am trying to get all the curved radius for flex track correct hence the set track on the design as I cant seem to get anyrail to behave.

If you right click on an unconnected section of flexitrack, you should see "curved track" on the menu that pops up.  You can then enter the radius and angle for the arc you want.  If the flexitrack is already connected to another piece of track this doesn't work, so disconnect first (right click on the track and "disconnect").  Note that Anyrail may not allow more than 90 degrees of curve or a radius less than the minimum specified in the Settings sheet (which you can change).

The new curve will not be positioned or aligned as you want so you will need to rotate and reconnect it.  If you want to preserve the curve while working on adjacent connected tracks, paticularly if you are adjusting their curves freehand, right click and "glue" it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hewlett87 said:

Layout measurements are as follows:

2.8m x 1.2m along one side of a conservatory.

Your Anyrail layout doesn't look quite right.  If it is 1.2m wide it seems to be much more than 2.8m long (more like 4.6m).

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

If it’s a through station why is there no curve at the left hand end to complete the circuit? (You can’t really model a through station as a terminus.)

Mention of coaches implies passenger platforms but it’s not obvious where they would be in the station plan. It would help if you could show them.

You mention Mark5 coaches and a goods shed but those things seem to be from different eras and not obviously compatible. What era are you aiming for?

• Funny 1

In fact, the curve tool does work when a piece of flexi is connected but at one end only. 

In fact if you want a constant radius curve there are advantages to using Setrack pieces anyway. 

If you highlight a piece of setrack you will see that Any Rail displays the curve radius and angle. If you note the numbers and use them to create flextrack curves you will see how the process works.

The 'Create Parallel Track' feature works in a similar way. Its useful for creating double tracks. It basically copies the profile of a piece of flexitrack to a specified location parallel to the original.

Edited by RobinofLoxley

• RMweb Premium

The free version of Anyrail has a limit on the number of track pieces that can be used which might account for the missing "return to fiddle yard" track at the left hand side of the plan.

@Hewlett87 what are you trying to achieve?

What era? A class 68 + Mk5 suggests current, where good sheds aren't that common.

What other trains will you be running?

Have a look at real locations for some inspiration. Seamer is a two track station with stabling sidings that could be turned into a small distribution hub like those at Blackburn, Wakefield or Middlesbrough. Have a look at Google Earth's aerial views - Blackburn's site no longer has rail access but the historic images show the connection.

SB.