BSK allocation help

pompeystuart

16 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Just checked my RCTS books from 1974 - 1980 and the Mallaband and Bowles predecessor from 1972.

34778 does not appear in any of them, so unlikely it made it into the 70s let alone the 80s.

Thankyou Simon, much appreciated. Looks like back to the drawing board.

8 hours ago, pompeystuart said:

Hello.

Can anyone tell me where BR Mk1 BSK coach 34778 was allocated during the 1980s please? Or what prefix it had (W,E,M etc)

thankyou in advance

Withdrawn as W34778 in 10/1968. Became DB975538 on 06/1976. With thanks to the Hugh Longworth book!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Converted prior to publication of Second edition Lineside Publications 'Departmental Coaching Stock' in 1981 ...... scrapped at Booths October 1996. ( 'W' prefix from new - and at conversion )

Out of interest, why are you asking about this particular vehicle ?

I have a BSK I’m looking to renumber. I have  34778 as a complete number on a transfer sheet, so was hoping to use it.

I appreciate everyones very kind help.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Obviously not the most useful number for someone to put on a transfer sheet ! ☹️

S°d's law suggests that most of the other complete numbers will be for vehicles withdrawn from normal service to form part of the Bournemouth electrification fleet and renumbered in the process!

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Obviously not the most useful number for someone to put on a transfer sheet ! ☹️

I had (may still have) transfer sheets from the 1970s/80s which such gems as 'D6127' in the later Rail Alphabet font (the real one was pretty much destroyed by fire in 1962), '24043' (written off in 1971 so never reached TOPS*) and '33069' in the larger 8" numbers (n/a for SR) which didn't exist!

* Some years ago now I saw this number applied to a Class 24 at an exhibition - since I knew the operator I pointed out the error, he took it on the chin but was a bit miffed that he'd been misled by the transfer sheet!

17 hours ago, ISW said:

Withdrawn as W34778 in 10/1968. Became DB975538 on 06/1976. With thanks to the Hugh Longworth book!

I'm surprised it sat round for nearly 8 years without being turned into razor blades 😁!

Less than three months earlier W34885 was in traffic still in chocolate/cream livery - that one went for overhaul, repaint into blue/grey and B4 bogies, but it still didn't reach 1974. I wonder what the circumstances were that condemned one but overhauled the other.....?

• Funny 1