Hornby 2P Tender drive.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Middlesea John said:

My 6-year old grandson has a Hornby tender drive 2P 4-4-0.  Sadly his 2 year old sister dropped it and part of the flange of one of the rear wheels of the tender drive has snapped off.  Any idea how I can remedy this please ?

According to the 2P service sheet (downloadable here) the part number for a set of tender wheels is X8303. I can't find it advertised and in stock anywhere, however.

The wheels or complete wheelsets can be swapped about, a missing flange won't matter on the centre axle, (I'd consider trimming it off completely )that's one option. 

Any local model shop or show with s/h has potential for spares. I don't know the 'geography'  of this Hornby-ex Mainline product: it's possible that there are compatible parts from either,  and more broadly from further items in these ranges than just the MR type tender of the 2P and 4F.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Middlesea John said:

My 6-year old grandson has a Hornby tender drive 2P 4-4-0.  Sadly his 2 year old sister dropped it and part of the flange of one of the rear wheels of the tender drive has snapped off.  Any idea how I can remedy this please ?

I can supply you a complete assembly of the motor and wheels for a very reasonable sum plus postage - £10 in total.

Just replace the existing mechanism and wire it up - its a few screws and a couple of solder joints to complete the installation.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Just seen this topic, got an untested one here as well. Mine runs nicely with comet chassis and highlevel motor now

Deliberately bought as non runner

Edited by MJI

On 12/10/2023 at 18:17, sjp23480 said:

I can supply you a complete assembly of the motor and wheels for a very reasonable sum plus postage - £10 in total.

Just replace the existing mechanism and wire it up - its a few screws and a couple of solder joints to complete the installation.

Steve

Thanks - I'll have a think about this.  I know I couldn't do it myself but I know a man who ... er ... might.  Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Middlesea John said:

Thanks - I'll have a think about this.  I know I couldn't do it myself but I know a man who ... er ... might.  Thanks again.

No worries - they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Steve