RMweb

Can I automate my fiddle yard?

Tallpaul69

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned over on Lower Thames Yard, I’ve been helping Paul work out what he needs as an absolute minimum (with operational hassle), an easier life option, and future provision in case (when?) ;-) the bug bites.  This is a representation of the full layout - there might be different numbers of some sidings but the principles remain sound.

231115LTYAutov3.jpg.beda0376dea7f7814fbcbd2f64337161.jpg

That’s quite a lot of blocks even without feedback sensors over the points!  So, if I may, I would like to test the water about minimising the hardware required for iTrain to operate without it getting confused.

The iTrain manual mentions inputting the length of points.  Is this only necessary if braking for one block starts before entry into that block (either in the previous block, or in no man’s land in between)?  Does that mean that iTrain needs train detection over each point as well as in the blocks or not?

Can iTrain “track” trains between blocks if they are moved manually (i.e. with the only inputs being it knows the engine is moving because it can see the speed commands from the hand held controller and can associate the block occupancy changes with point setting to know where the train has gone)?

Can it create dummy block detection inputs using one feedback coupled with point lie settings?  See the red hand drawn squares above - Store 9-13 are accessed over one ”Real” feedback that occupies and clears as the loco (or train) passes over it, then combined internally within iTrain to give 5 dummy feedbacks each one relating to only one of the five blocks.   It is then logically possible to work out which one of the five the train has entered or left (combining with train direction information).

It also needs iTrain to be happy to remember block occupancy when the layout is saved even though the feedback is off at that point. (It’s effectively using a train detection section as a spot detector).

My reason for asking is that I can then achieve the same functionality with 16 or more fewer feedbacks.

Stopping point accuracy is not critical if Paul is moving the trains under manual control, although the temptation to move to automatic operation exists if the accuracy is good enough!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Hey @5BarVT thats a big shift you have put in there

Lots of little ones actually, but thanks anyway.

It’s easier than it looks as it’s not done in a drawing programme but a (well known? Shhh!) train control programme which actually does most of the hard work for me.

Paul.

• Like 2

In principle whilst not having that extent of trackage I control similar blocks using on track reed switches. These feed into a software program that currently only works with Hornby controllers. Layout operation is by way of simple English scripts with script events triggered by the sensors.

More information about the operating software can be found here https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/information-about-the-tgg-layout-operating-application-expressions-of-interest-updated-4-nov-370360?ccm_paging_p=5#end-of-replies

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a note to say that, sadly, I’ll have to sign out of this topic.

I had been puzzled why there had been plenty of criticism but a deathly silence when requests for specific help had been made.

For reasons specific to my (self confessed) weird use of automation, I don’t think I will become an iTrains user and it would not be reasonable to change iTrains just for me.

Without being an iTrains user myself and able to test out theories and do experiments with it I won’t be competent in its capabilities. I don’t feel it is my place to advise others on what can and can’t be done (or should and shouldn’t) when I am not a competent user.

Apologies for stringing you along and giving the impression that I would be able to help.

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1