The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Warhammer & Games Workshop

johnofwessex

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Little plastic figures? They've gone plastic? :( They were all whitemetal when I was a kid, other than some starting sets.

Plenty are still white metal. Tends to only be the items that will sell in higher volumes that can justify the cost of tooling up for plastic.

Also some issues with selling white metal stuff to kids. Think Hobbycraft used to stock Flames Of War stuff but stopped due to the white metal used.

Tanks below are white metal. Need to finish basing them still

All the best

Katy

393985439_1272458963452456_5040769609443878766_n.jpg

Edited by Kickstart
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Can we just leave the standard Facebook-type "Everything was better in the old days" posts out of this please, particularly ones blaming faceless bureaucrats blah, blah?

It's something that really, really annoys me as it devalues the actual subject matter with its contaminated and jaundiced diatribe that is an opinion bearing no relation to the subject under discussion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 18/10/2023 at 10:38, 33C said:

All my children were into Warhammer. Sunday afternoon's, I would take them into the shop to watch the battles. When they had an army of their own, (Silver Skulls, Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Tyranids!), I could drop them off and pick them up 3 hours later and listen to the epic that had happened that day...until one Sunday, after a change of manager. He questioned the painting of the players miniatures. 4 colours minimum and only the company paints. When asked, my lads said, I had done them all for them(true), and with car spray paint and Humbrol. They were then told to leave. They called me from the corner phone box to pick them up. So....long story short, he left soon after, under a very big cloud.

A great, youth hobby, nearly ruined by one selfish individual.

The shop survives, just, but it was never the same.

The battles continued at home, and we incorporated a railway into the battlefield, much like the "Steam-punk" stuff of much later! And they made up their own rules. 

Kids do modelling, just not our modelling....

there are very occasional incidents like this in Warhammer regrettably (usually aimed at either women or younger players for ‘not taking it seriously enough’ or some such baloney). Sorry to hear about this experience - these standards simply do not exist in most stores, so I agree that it is a random cracking of the whip by one individual.

I’m a regular in both Birmingham, Solihull, Walsall and Warhammer World itself and I’ve used non-official paints, 3D printed parts and third party light up kits and the most common response I have had is ‘ooh, cool’. The vast majority of the people working in store are modellers and gamers too, and try to act like it.

Thankfully the ‘gatekeepers’ as they are known are getting rarer and rarer. 

incidentally l may have inadvertently introduced some lingo into the Birmingham store from the model railway world - they now use the term ‘rivet counter’ quite a bit, so sorry if that’s my fault 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Little plastic figures? They've gone plastic? :( They were all whitemetal when I was a kid, other than some starting sets.

they’ve been phasing it out for a long time. The only metal stuff now is a collection of really old classic minis and a fair chunk of the Lord of the Rings range. 

But the plastics are superb - in almost all cases they leave the kits they replaced dead in the water :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edge said:

…..

incidentally l may have inadvertently introduced some lingo into the Birmingham store from the model railway world - they now use the term ‘rivet counter’ quite a bit, so sorry if that’s my fault 🤦‍♂️ …..

I’m curious as to what you could rivet count in the 40K universe 😋

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edge said:

they’ve been phasing it out for a long time. The only metal stuff now is a collection of really old classic minis and a fair chunk of the Lord of the Rings range. 

But the plastics are superb - in almost all cases they leave the kits they replaced dead in the water :)

I didn’t think anything was metal anymore. Any old metal models are now fine cast, which is GW speak for converting the minis to use resin, usually with poor results.

Now everything new apart from a few low production items are plastic. The other items are resin and usually sold under their forge world brand.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Taz said:

I’m curious as to what you could rivet count in the 40K universe 😋

It was in response to a dissertation about why a thunderhawk gunship could not fly because the wings were too far back. 

in the twentieth minute I introduced the concept of rivet counting obsessiveness ruining some people’s experiences of the hobby :) and it stuck

• Funny 1

Just now, Taz said:

I didn’t think anything was metal anymore. Any old metal models are now fine cast, which is GW speak for converting the minis to use resin, usually with poor results.

Now everything new apart from a few low production items are plastic. The other items are resin and usually sold under their forge world brand.

Yes, the finecast stuff isn’t brilliant. Forge world resin on the other hand is superb.

meta is now mostly when they do a ‘made to order’ run of classic minis. As I’ve said as well, they never did finecast on the lord of the rings game, so you can still get entire armies in metal there :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Edge said:

Yes, the finecast stuff isn’t brilliant. Forge world resin on the other hand is superb.

meta is now mostly when they do a ‘made to order’ run of classic minis. As I’ve said as well, they never did finecast on the lord of the rings game, so you can still get entire armies in metal there :)

Never knew that. I’d assumed the made to order for old stuff was resin as well.

As a recent returnee to the hobby, I’ve concentrated on the new stuff which is miles better in terms of detail etc.

I’ve never played lord of the rings. I was originally at fantasy battle player, then epic before hitting 40K on my return a couple of years back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Never knew that. I’d assumed the made to order for old stuff was resin as well.

As a recent returnee to the hobby, I’ve concentrated on the new stuff which is miles better in terms of detail etc.

I’ve never played lord of the rings. I was originally at fantasy battle player, then epic before hitting 40K on my return a couple of years back.

I started with LOTR and moved on to 40K and related games. Fantasy occasionally has something  I’m interested in, but not much

• Like 1

Chesterfield supports not only a GW shop, but also an independant shop that does a bit of figures/gaming and also as a venue for RPGs. My son fequesnt the indie shop mainly, they gave us some good tips on buying a 3D printer recently.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am concerned that my head may be turned by a 'bit on the side' and I don't think that I can cope with two mistresses.

OK, that's a little dramatic.  Perhaps I had better explain myself...

My No. 1 hobby is model railways, has been for years and always will be.

About 20 years ago, when my Son was in secondary school, he joined the school games club, they were all into Warhammer 40k and suddenly there I was painting these blue space marines for him.

Advance a couple of years, his Mother and I parted; wanting to build a greater bond with my Son and have something in common, I purchased some Warhammer Orcs.  I had a lot of fun painting them up and at work made friends with a gamer who introduced me to the basics of how to play.

Well the games never took off, probably squeezed out of the way by the demands of life common to us all and so my Orc army disappeared int the loft for years.

Now fast forward to the current time, new wife, new home with a big house makeover prompting a serious declutter, I made the decision to sell the lot. I browse ebay searching for a feel for what they might be worth, yet just become thoroughly confused. What is too cheap? What is too expensive?  I first thought £100, yet with about 140 figures, I think they are worth a lot more than 71 pence each.  When I look on the Games Workshop website, it seems that a group of six figures can easily put you back £30+. So at £5 a figure, that makes the collection worth £700, nobody is going to pay that much! 

Now as I gaze at these lovely figures and think of how much of myself I put into them, I begin to wonder if I should try again to pick it up?  But no, there is just not room for two distractions.  I'm looking at the websites for two local games clubs, but not sure if it is the 'done thing' for a stranger to just pop up offering a sale. I also just cannot hack the effort of learning how to sell on ebay. 

So, has anyone any thoughts on what a complete 1400 point Orc army might be worth? and how to go about approaching a club?

I have tried to copy in a photograph, but my iPhone takes photo's in a format called ODF, which this website will not accept and my laptop wont allow me to 'copy as' pdf.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 26/05/2024 at 19:58, AyJay said:

I am concerned that my head may be turned by a 'bit on the side' and I don't think that I can cope with two mistresses.

OK, that's a little dramatic.  Perhaps I had better explain myself...

There are various clubs, but some are more historical than Warhammer based. Plus with figures there is a bit of a split between the older metal figures and the current plastic ones. Not really up on 2nd hand Warhammer prices.

There are various wargames shows around, and some of those will have a "bring and buy" section

https://www.bhgs.org.uk/calendar.html

Personally jump in and start to play!

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2024 at 19:58, AyJay said:

I have tried to copy in a photograph, but my iPhone takes photo's in a format called ODF, which this website will not accept and my laptop wont allow me to 'copy as' pdf.

iPads, and I assume iPhones, actually use HEIC — ODF is generally the name for all the document formats associated with LibreOffice — it isn't an image format. If this is a Windows laptop, you should be able to get a converter program for free. If it's a Mac, open in Preview and export in whatever format.

Alternatively, iPads and, I assume, iPhones, use .PNG for screenshots — so you could display your photo on the iPhone and take a screenshot of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think some GW people have gone off and started a new game called Trench Crusade. Some of the artwork looks fantastic and aspects of the lore are intriguing but it all feels a bit like going there own way with 40k. Grimdark future? Check. Religious fanatics and dark forces, heretics etc? Check. Bonkers dark forces? Check. Modified superhumans? Check. A sort of steam punk retrotech vibe heavy on impressive looking armoured suits? Check. It does look interesting and as I say some of the art is incredible but it also feels like 40k under another name.

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult can it be to try and sell something!!!

Continuing on from what I posted earlier.  I got an invitation from my Son to join the fb games group that meets local to him.  I posted my offer with a description and a photograph. One person requested a list, another requested more photos. So I posted several photos of the lot; as for a list, they are just 122 Orcs with assorted guns. No response from that site.

Then I found two groups that meet in the next town. One did not reply to my request to join them. For the other, someone replied that they have a separate marketplace for this sort of thing, please install the app from this link. I replied that I would not be installing something on my phone if I did not know what it was.

Honestly, how difficult can it get!!!

I have never sold on eBay, sounds a lot of fuss and risky. I have tried fb marketplace and all I got was timewasters and a few that wanted to cheat me.

Think I’ll just put them back in the loft and forget them. 
Now throughly fed up and grumpy!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My son has just finished one of his models for the skills element of his silver Duke of Edinburgh award, really impressed with the paint finish

IMG_5784.jpeg

IMG_5785.jpeg

IMG_5786.jpeg

Edited by StuAllen
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1