Smoked a Mashima 1833, what is the best replacement?

bluestag

Hey Guys,

I smoked one of my last Mashima 1833's.   It was new.    It had run on a tenth of an amp or a bit less, at 12v, free running.

Installed it in the chassis, and it did not like it.    It drew .4 amps and smoked.   I shut it off quickly, removed it from the chassis and set it up to run without a load again.   It still drew .4 amp and smoked.   I have one other 1833, which I installled, and which ran the driver at a tenth of an amp at 6v.

Any idea what the heck happened to my motor?

And what is a good replacement?   I know Cannon makes a similar sized motor, but not if the screw holes are the same.   Roxy offers a replacement.   Is it essentially as good as a Mashima?

Kevin

Edited by bluestag
mistake

On 21/10/2023 at 21:00, bluestag said:

Hey Guys,

I smoked one of my last Mashima 1833's.   It was new.    It had run on a tenth of an amp or a bit less, at 12v, free running.

Installed it in the chassis, and it did not like it.    It drew .4 amps and smoked.   I shut it off quickly, removed it from the chassis and set it up to run without a load again.   It still drew .4 amp and smoked.   I have one other 1833, which I installled, and which ran the driver at a tenth of an amp at 6v.

Any idea what the heck happened to my motor?

And what is a good replacement?   I know Cannon makes a similar sized motor, but not if the screw holes are the same.   Roxy offers a replacement.   Is it essentially as good as a Mashima?

Kevin

Sounds to me like the chassis was running too stiffly and needed running in.   I had massive problems with a Comet chassis for a 28XX which ate motors (since flogged on eBay) Maybe tow it around the test track for an hour or so before fitting a motor?

6 hours ago, DCB said:

Sounds to me like the chassis was running too stiffly and needed running in.   I had massive problems with a Comet chassis for a 28XX which ate motors (since flogged on eBay) Maybe tow it around the test track for an hour or so before fitting a motor?

No, I don't think so.    The coupling rods were not in place, and the smoke was only for a second or two while the gears were in place, and continued after the worm wheel was removed and the motor was running without a load.    Nah, it's the oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2023 at 12:48, doilum said:

In the UK i have used the 1833 from Taff Vale Models

Yes.    Any 1833 is too big.   An 1824 or 1828 would fit.   The motor is on the front driving axle.   And 1833 is too long to sit down horizontally, and too long to stand up vertically.  Got the 1525 today.   It fits either way.    But may not make enough torque for the loco.   It is assigned to haul five inside bearing six wheelers, plus a four wheeler.   That is not a trivial load.

Best I can see our options are various 1833s, and a 1525.    Nothing between.   Am I wrong?

Edited by bluestag