Sound Slot 30 Drive 2 question

MichaelE

Just about anyone in the Swiss forum knows what the Ge 4/4 III locomotive sounds like when it start moving. 

The first thing you hear is the wind up of the traction motors and inverters as the locomotive accelerates. After it reaches a certain speed, this sound is greatly reduced and a sort of 'shshshshshs' whoosh sound takes over.

The original sound file loaded by Bemo for this locomotive did not sound very good after this 'Whoosh' sound started and the locomotive was at speed. This sound starts when the locomotive was at around 15-20 scale MPH. That part is correct.

I found another Ge 4/4 III soundfile for this locomotive at the ESU website that uses much of the same sounds, but the sound slots are arranged slightly differently and the 'whoosh' sound much more even and just sounds better. The problem, is that the sound doesn't start until the locomotive is at around 45 scale MPH which is way too fast. 

There are two electric drive sounds listed, one in sound slot 1, and the other in sound slot 30, labeled Drive 2. I believe this is the 'whoosh' sound that takes over after the locomotive is up to speed or still accelerating. This configuration is in the second sound file (S0150) that I downloaded.

The Volume, and Minimum Sound Speed and Maximum sound speed are all set differently on the sliders. Whereas on the original sound file (96434) these sounds are combined in the same sound slot and the sliders are all set at the mid-point.

Are you with me so far?

If, on the S0150 sound file I adjust the Minimum Sound Speed down for the Drive 2 sound in sound slot 30, will this start the sound at a slower speed? 

I have no way of testing this unless I make the change and load the file to the decoder and I would rather not do that unless I know for a fact I'm making the correct adjustment.

I cannot find a reference for this in the manual, though I might have just not been able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I belive I have found the solution to this problem.

None of those adjustments had any effect on the two motor sounds.

However, in the sound file block diagram of the main (sound slot 1) drive there is an editable box that has a transition speed between the two sound files. Currently, it is set to 110. I'm going to check this value in the Bemo factory file (if it exists) and use that value.

My computer is currently recharging so I can't check it this instant.

The Bemo sound file does not have two separate sound slots for these two drive sounds as the file I'm working on uses. I will have to wait awhile to check this transition value if it is listed in the block diagram area.