RMweb

Swansea traffic types. (not coal)

Richard_A

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I remember wooden pit props which were imported.They were cut to length on the docks and the resulting offcuts were plentiful. A local charity collected them every so often and sold them as logs for a log fire or they were cut as sticks for fire lighting.Every so often a 7/8 plank wagon would be filled with these offcuts which were then taken to a convenient sidings and reloaded on a lorry from another nearby wood merchant which I think was Hughes & Morgan/Hughes Morgan and taken to a wood yard the charity had rented.There was the occasional cut head when the log being thrown into the railway wagon overshot and hit someone on the other side on the head . No Health & Safety then !!!

There were enough Scandinavian ships and crews to justify a Norwegian church and welfare  near the main dock entrance. One of my ancestors was one of the 'Vikings'

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There were enough Scandinavian ships and crews to justify a Norwegian church and welfare  near the main dock entrance. One of my ancestors was one of the 'Vikings'

It was removed and rebuilt/restored at the end of the old Prince of Wales dock.It became a studio for a jewellery maker amongst other things. Not sure what it is now.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I remember wooden pit props which were imported.They were cut to length on the docks and the resulting offcuts were plentiful. A local charity collected them every so often and sold them as logs for a log fire or they were cut as sticks for fire lighting.Every so often a 7/8 plank wagon would be filled with these offcuts which were then taken to a convenient sidings and reloaded on a lorry from another nearby wood merchant which I think was Hughes & Morgan/Hughes Morgan and taken to a wood yard the charity had rented.There was the occasional cut head when the log being thrown into the railway wagon overshot and hit someone on the other side on the head . No Health & Safety then !!!

BR 2975 will also probably remember that for years there was a huge stockpile of wooden pit props stacked up near the SWML at St Mellons - must have been thousands of them.  

Back to Swansea

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

BR 2975 will also probably remember that for years there was a huge stockpile of wooden pit props stacked up near the SWML at St Mellons - must have been thousands of them.  

P.A.Bell, was, I believe, the company at St. Mellons.

And at Wern Tarw on the boggy moor above Pencoed was another pit prop yard, operated by J.O. Williams

Edited by br2975
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, rka said:

So van traffic and pit props in south dock, thank you all. 

The GWR Rule Book devoted 7 (seven) pages to the methods of loading of pitwood / pit props in open wagons.

It also differentiates between 'pitwood' and 'pit props', stating "pitwood with the bark stripped off, i.e. pit props"

I know when I was helping out with a project of Swansea south docks. I know a fair bit of military items went through the docks, road transport like car etc as imports and exports, metals from ImI which was part of IcI, lew of the L&B left Swansea for Brazil, a funnel for TR was dropped off when their no4 trying out the Gisele funnels. Swansea did have some railway builders and might have sent stuff through the docks. Meat, flour, animal's, clothing items and materials, beer, wine spirits. 

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, kingfisher9147 said:

I know when I was helping out with a project of Swansea south docks. I know a fair bit of military items went through the docks, road transport like car etc as imports and exports, metals from ImI which was part of IcI, lew of the L&B left Swansea for Brazil, a funnel for TR was dropped off when their no4 trying out the Gisele funnels. Swansea did have some railway builders and might have sent stuff through the docks. Meat, flour, animal's, clothing items and materials, beer, wine spirits. 

Mike

Is this the south dock project the Swansea railway modellers group were building? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1