Avon Mills 1990

David41283

Hi everyone,

Having taken Invernevis as far as I could I contemplated building an extra board to extend the layout, but decided to start again.

After selling Invernevis at the start of last year, I started a new project. I had to be realistic in terms of practicalities and space. This would’ve meant building another similar layout if I stayed with N gauge, and I had an unashamed nostalgic ambition to capture the trains of my late childhood around Bristol and Westbury around 1990.

I stuck with two 4’x1’ boards, but have gone to 00 gauge and DCC sound. 

I have posted a couple of photos of the 3d printed people on the platform in the “realistic modelling” thread to positive feedback, so it’s time for the whole layout to break cover.

Avon Mills 1990 is set in the Bristol area - an amalgam of Avonmouth and Sea Mills perhaps, but it is completely fictitious.

I have sacrificed some realism to include elements I remember from the period. A tiny station like this wouldn’t have had brutes or orange information screens but along with the red benches, yellow litter bins and badgerline buses they are very apt for the period.

IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1