Provision of Arm and Lamp Repeaters

I am researching the extent to which the S&DJR provided Arm and/or Lamp Repeaters in their signal-boxes (and some GFs.)

This is not an easy subject to examine, as most of the detail comes from information listed on signal-box diagrams, a practice which does not seem to have become common until about the 1930s. Even in the 1950s some diagrams had no such detail at all, but its absence can not be taken as a definite indication that no such repeaters were provided - it may be just that the original diagram negative was never updated.

My general impression is that initially the provision of Arm Repeaters was limited to Distant signals (not surprising perhaps, given their remote locations) and even then not all of those. Arm repeaters for Stop signals did exist in later years at some locations, possibly because of signals being moved further out; there were also a few provided on signals which IMHO should not have needed them, so maybe it had become the practice in BR days to provide them as a matter of course when making alterations?

Lamp Repeaters appear to have been very scarce - initially I found only six! Even Distant signals did not appear to have them as a rule, which I find strange - after all, if a train is approaching at night and the lamp is out and the driver has lost his bearings, then he's going to get a shock when the first he sees is the red light from a Home signal, so that extent I would have considered Lamp repeaters perhaps to have been even more important than Arm repeaters for Distant signals.

Although quite a few photos do exist of S&DJR signal-box interiors which show some repeaters, it is not always easy to determine their function and to which signal(s) they apply. Often the photos show only part of the instrument shelf anyway, so the record is incomplete.

Any thoughts and/or location-specific information would be appreciated - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've broadened the topic now to Electric Repeaters in general and an initial write-up can be found here for those who are interested.

www.trainweb.org/railwest/railco/sdjr/sigmisc.html#repeaters

Comments, corrections and extra information always welcome !