RMweb

N gauge Gwr branch line terminus

I’m trying to model a Gwr branch line terminus in n gauge, the era is roughly 1948 so the end of the Gwr and the start of British railway, at the minute the size of the layout is roughy 4x1. I’m trying to model it as realistically as possibly, I have looked at a number of layouts. I have used anyrail to plan it out I used the staverleigh n gauge layout for the track plan. If you have any out ideas for making it more realistic please say. The goods shed and coal line is on the right and the engine shed along with a water tower and coal station. Then the station in the middle and the signal box at the end of the platform. 

IMG_1269.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi there, to make it more realistic, one option would be to run the engine shed off the Centre road (using a single slip point if you’re familiar with them) rather than back from the goods sidings.  As it is you might have to shunt wagons out of the way to get in and out of the engine shed:

IMG_5983.jpeg.29d312f0188e862c3498b94a6b2b5039.jpeg

Just a thought.  An idea some people use to help with scenic layouts is to angle the tracks so they’re not parallel with the baseboard edge.  Even a two or three degree slant makes quite a difference visually if there’s room.  Hope that helps, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Following on from Keith's suggestions, here's an idea. It has only two sidings which gives it a less cluttered look, but may not be enough for your needs.

Edit: it also avoids using a slip, which can be tricky in N.

Nathan99_1.png.9073f1ebb35cb0b48b4f29f4d34f0eea.png

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Following on from Keith's suggestions, here's an idea. It has only two sidings which gives it a less cluttered look, but may not be enough for your needs.

Edit: it also avoids using a slip, which can be tricky in N.

Nathan99_1.png.9073f1ebb35cb0b48b4f29f4d34f0eea.png

This plan is v ery similar to my layout Danemouth

DanemouthMk5v3Signalling.jpg.adabaa06c2c785096bf08fb66995689a.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Nathan,

May I say that I like your original plan. If you want to do some shunting at very slow speeds use the shed line as a private owner siding such a kickback siding increases the shunting posibilities  by 50%. If not then keep the shed.

If you would like to see such a siding in action on a very simple track plan please take a look at this video

Best wishes - Jim

• Like 1