Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TTS Sound card to Britannia Class loco.

Monjac

Just  tried to retrofit a TTS Sound card to Hornby  Oliver Cromwell/Britannia. 

When I first fitted card everything worked .Good sound. Forward and backwards etc..

Then sound stopped.  Now can only  go backwards and forwards.

Have I blown something ? 

Any ideas please.

I was using the supplied speaker. It worked really well for 5 minutes and then just stopped.  The connections look fine ,

Mystery. 

I am new to DCC . Does this sort of thing happen. Do speakers simply blow ?

Otherwise I cannot see anything else logical.

I even tried a Hornby controller instead of the Gaugemaster. 

• RMweb Gold

The amplifier circuit on the decoder usually blows, not the speaker. The typical causes are either a momentary short circuit across the speaker wires or the wrong impedance speaker for the decoder - e.g. driving a 4Ohm speaker with a decoder rated for 8Ohms only, especially when the volume is turned up high.

Did you see smoke or smell burning? Whether you did or not, you might be able to see evidence of heat on the decoder, which would be a tell-tale sign.

If you're not sure what to look for, post photos here of the front and back of the decoder.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

I’d try another speaker just to be sure but in my experience with the TTS the amp will have blown. They can do this at the drop of a hat, very susceptible to the slightest hint of static with some. Hornby were very good at replacing them but whether they have stocks any more now is another matter since they moved on to the bluetooth ones.

Bob

p.s. I always use insulating tape everywhere to make sure there is little chance of shorts and to damp static. A reel of Tamiya masking tape is your friend here….

Edited by Izzy

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

p.s. I always use insulating tape everywhere to make sure there is little chance of shorts and to damp static. A reel of Tamiya masking tape is your friend here….

Really? I shelled out for Kapton tape. Does Tamiya masking tape work better or just as well?

5 minutes ago, n9 said:

Really? I shelled out for Kapton tape. Does Tamiya masking tape work better or just as well?

Kapton tape - expensive stuff which is reasonably heat resistant (so soldering by it is possible).  Difficult to form into tight shapes.  Doesn't always stick to things well.  Can be difficult to remove and re-fix.  

Tamiya masking tape - expensive, (though not that expensive), not heat resistant.  Easy to form into tight shapes, easy to cut to different shapes.  Sticks when you want it to.  Stands a certain amount of re-fixing.   

As basic level insulation, both achieve the same result in stopping metal parts touching things they shouldn't.    I much prefer the Tamiya tape, its far far easier to work with,  can paint it if it needs colouring, etc..  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

i WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE BODY OFF AGAIN AND HAVE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU SAY.

i THINK THE SHORT CIRCUIT IDEA IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED AS i WASN'T VERY CAREFUL. PUT IT DOWN TO EXPERIENCE. I ALSO DAMAGED THE MOTION PUTTING THE TOP BACK ON. I DID NOT HAVE A VERY GOOD  DAY.IT PAYS TO STAY CALM AND NOT GET ANGRY. WILL WE EVER LEARN. ??