Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Calling all women railway modellers - is anybody out there?

Hi. My name is Carol Flavin. I have been active in the model railway scene for a few years. I have an article on my Winter Magnorail Village in the latest issue of British Railway Modelling and will be taking it to The National Model of Railway Exhibition at the NEC in November. I have previously modelled in OO and also have an oo9 Narrow Gauge called The Harland Light Railway. 

I started railway modelling for my granchildren but have ended up modelling for myself because I love doing it. They were the ones that encouraged me to set up a YouTube channel which I call Model Railway Scenics with Carol Flavin. 

Are you new to this or have you been railway modelling for a while? 

• Like 2

On 03/11/2023 at 16:49, LocoLadies CF said:

Hi. My name is Carol Flavin. I have been active in the model railway scene for a few years. I have an article on my Winter Magnorail Village in the latest issue of British Railway Modelling and will be taking it to The National Model of Railway Exhibition at the NEC in November. I have previously modelled in OO and also have an oo9 Narrow Gauge called The Harland Light Railway. 

I started railway modelling for my granchildren but have ended up modelling for myself because I love doing it. They were the ones that encouraged me to set up a YouTube channel which I call Model Railway Scenics with Carol Flavin. 

Hi Carol,

I love your channel and have just subscribed. Beautiful layouts and scenery.  I've been involved in model railways for around 2 years - I came to it from painting and other crafts and then got hooked - as you do! I've also been working on a Japanese dolls house which is very intricate. I've just started a Facebook group for women railway modellers called Women Railway Modellers - if you'd like to join? It would be great to grow a community of women in the hobby. https://www.facebook.com/groups/womenrailwaymodellers

• Agree 1

On 03/11/2023 at 16:49, LocoLadies CF said:

I'm hoping to work on a Japan layout at some point in the future - Here are some photos from the traditional Japanese miniature house i worked on.  . it's been a source of inspiration - so intricate, I even had to attach the pot handles individually.

Japanese house 1.jpg

Japanese 3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

Thanks for subscribing. I was only saying to my husband today that your videos and monochrome concept for a layout are a breath of fresh air.  Model Railways are very popular in Japan. 

Like you, I come from a craft and artistic background and I am so glad my grandkids got me into railway modelling. Mind you, in the 5 years I have been doing this they have completely grown up but still love to come and see what I have been doing. Who would have thought I would end up on tv four times and have upwards of 20 articles in British Railway Modelling and Railway Modeller. Not me certainly!!! 

Do you go to exhibitions. I will be at the Warley National Exhibition at the NEC with my Winter Magnorail Village with two of my fellow LocoLadies* on stand D41. Come and see us if you do go. We have cake!! 

* I was team leader of the LocoLadies who took part in the Great Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5. We withdrew after the first heat due to illness in a team member BUT ended up with tons of publicity and invitations especially to Warley where we joined the winners.