Ilfracombe MRS

Matloughe

Hello All,

I've been asked to share the details of the Ilfracombe Model Railway Society - to improve our online presence and hopefully attract some new members. The club is a great group of individuals and between us most of the major modelling scales are represented.
We have two Layouts in our N Gauge section, Pointless #2 which is a double-track double figure of eight layout where the track folds back on itself twice - it's surprising how much track is actually on the board and it offers a nice long run with some challenging gradients for stock - featuring several tunnels, a large viaduct as the centre piece over a lake and two smaller bridges as well as a four track, four platform station its great for watching trains run round.
We also have under construction a scale model of Ilfracombe also in N Gauge, this is at the stage where its structurally complete and wiring is being finished off leaving scenic details to be applied this long-term project is reaching fruition - I think we're all going to look forwards to seeing double-headed or banked trains head in and out of the station.

In 4mm / 00 Gauge we have a large layout operated from the centre, representing both Staverton on one side and Buckfastleigh on the other side from the South Devon Railway. This layout has had some pointwork replaced to improve running reliability and we will be touching up and adjusting the scenery as well - operating as a preserved railway this layout is always kept ready to operate and features some dramatic scenery joining the two scenes with a large stone viaduct at one end and a developing town at the other with the railway passing through. Capable of being operated in DC or DCC mode - as well as due to some clever wiring DC & DCC simultaneously there is something for everyone on here and its hosting rolling stock from the 1890's through modern day.

Moving up to 7mm / O Gauge, the layout Ashmoor Vale a branchline to a busy Market Town and Quayside capable of running in DC or DCC mode this is located on the Devon / Somerset border and has a mix of Great Western & Southern stock and buildings. A lot of the buildings on the layout are scratchbuilt or kitbuilt.

Other members of the club have their own layouts and projects in most scales & gauges from 009, 0-16.5/On30 up to 16mm scale and beyond! So there is something to interest everyone - even if you just want to come and have a chat with other like-minded individuals. I myself have only been a member for six months or so but have made some good friends and feel like I have contributed something towards the club working on the layouts.

We meet on Friday nights at 8pm til 10pm. We have a room above the Undertakers on Wilder Road in Ilfracombe, the post code is EX34 8BL and there is a car park on the opposite side of the road to the club room and currently parking there is free after 6pm (but please check the sign yourself for confirmation). We also have a break for tea/coffee & biscuits/cake mid-way through the night. There is also an extensive library of books as well as space to work on club projects or bring your own project along for some help & advice.

We are currently planning for our annual exhibition to be held around Easter as well so its an exciting time to come along and be apart of a club and make new friends as well as have fun. I am hoping to make some more posts on this thread with updates on our layouts etc and other news as things progress. Feel free to post on here or private message me if you would like some more information or to arrange to pop along and see what we're about.

Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 2

Hello All,

I hope all is well; this past week we had the opportunity to do some playing testing on Staverton and Buckfastleigh. Two points on the Buckfastleigh station throat were life-expired and causing issues with smooth running so it was decided to remove them and replace them with newer electrofrog points and wire them up accordingly. Its been an interesting experience as once we removed the old points it seemed like the geometry of the station throat had changed and the new points weren't quite in the same existing location. This meant we had to adjust the position of an underboard point motor to ensure smooth operation and we took the opportunity to adjust a surface point motor at the same time - adjusting the wire operating it and its location slightly.

spacer.png

This is an overview of Buckfastleigh station and yard, the points that were replaced are off shot below and form the station loop access and yard access heading down to the single-track line.

We have several trains on display here - in the distance the Royal Duchy heads away from the station, in the loop is the LBSCR Victorian set, an LMS Jubilee on shed as well as a DMU on the far line of the yard. We also have a younger members locomotive sitting opposite the Victorian set.

Buckfastleigh has two controllers built into its control board, and section switches can be turned between the two of them or switched out for the Staverton controller to take over - the whole layout can be operated in DC or DCC mode.

spacer.png

The only diesel on show today is club member David's Bachmann 08, 08375 in BR Blue - it was bustling about moving coaches and wagons in the yard to prepare trains.

spacer.png

Darren, the clubs Chairman had one of his Jubilee's on the layout - here it is in the yard at the head of a rake of club-owned GWR Coaches. Its in weathered condition and looks very purposeful here at the head of a train.

spacer.png

You can just imagine it simmering away, patiently waiting for its turn out pulling a train. 45697 Achillies is a very nicely detailed model by Bachmann for sure - I hope to see more of it.

spacer.png

Also owned by Darren is thsi fantastic train pack from Hornby, 'The Royal Duchy' consisting of BR(W) Castle Class 7036 Taunton Castle and three accompanying Mark I Coaches in Chocolate and Cream. You can see here it has left Buckfastleigh in the direction of what was towards Ashburton but is on our freelance section that has this viaduct, with a village behind and some cuttings as the trains turn 180 degrees round back towards Staverton. I wonder if the driver of the London General B type bus is very lost (in time & location) or if he is simply on a tour and visiting the local establishment - the Black Horse Inn.

spacer.png

Taunton Castle negotiating the viaduct and into the cutting leading back around towards Staverton.

spacer.png

Meanwhile back at Buckfastleigh the Victorian LBSCR Set headed by LBSCR A1 Terrier #40, Brighton waits for its time to shunt across to the main platform to pick up some passengers.

spacer.png

Taunton Castle arrives into Staverton with the Royal Duchy, this overview gives a good view of the size of the layout with our Chairman in the middle overseeing operations. There are two controllers on the Buckfastleigh board and a single controller for Staverton - which has its own mimic panel operated by stud & probe. Theoretically it is possible to have three trains on the move using these controllers under DC - with more operating in DCC mode.
Overall the layout is approximately 16' long and 8' wide with a central operating well - whilst in the clubroom we don't have the skirts fitted to hide the legs and other items under the layout. Plans for both Buckfastleigh and Staverton involve a scenic overhaul, with tidying things up such as new fencing, signals which have broken being replaced (I'm hoping for Dapol Moving Signals to be fitted myself!)

spacer.png

Looking the other way on Staverton, from the inside outwards we see Taunton Castle again this time in the loop platform waiting for its turn to leave and head back towards Buckfastleigh.

spacer.png

M7 #27 is sitting in a siding at Staverton, awaiting its turn in service - this is owned by a club member and has only recently arrived and needs a little more coaxing into life to be a reliable runner. I like the added details such as the disc and vacuum pipes.

spacer.png

I tried to create an action shot here of my LBSCR Terrier running across the viaduct but it was going too fast, I was too slow and I now have this blurred 'action' shot I thought i'd share instead 🤣

spacer.png

The last shot of the night, the coaches from 'The Royal Duchy' standing at Staverton station with passengers having boarded for the last journey home. Several of us have commented we need to get more passengers on the platforms for what is essentially a preserved line.

Hopefully that has given a flavour of Buckfastleigh and Staverton; its been mostly steam tonight but I think we have some diesels in the frame for next week - including a promised Class 37 and China Clay wagons.

I'll post some more in the future, I am hoping to get some photos and an overview of Pointless #2 from the N Gauge section, and excitingly another board from Ilfracombe in N arrived this week so as its being assembled I might try and get some photos of that too!

if you're interested in coming along and seeing what we're about, we meet on Friday nights at 8pm til 10pm. We have a room above the Undertakers on Wilder Road in Ilfracombe, the post code is EX34 8BL and there is a car park on the opposite side of the road to the club room and currently parking there is free after 6pm (but please check the sign yourself for confirmation). We also have a break for tea/coffee & biscuits/cake mid-way through the night. There is also an extensive library of books as well as space to work on club projects or bring your own project along for some help & advice.

Feel free to drop me a message if you like, we're planning on doing some upgrades as mentioned to Buckfastleigh and Staverton so there is plenty of opportunity to get involved with a project - there is scenery on the layout that we're going to change; signalling renewals as well as replacing the turntable with something different and changing that scene - as well as electrical work for some of the layouts (Ilfracombe in N is going to be wired up soon).

We're also going to look in our storage area as we have a 00 model of Barnstaple Town stored away and see if that might be in a condition to be refurbished - I am personally also looking to do some 009 Narrow Gauge one the side so hoping there is some 009 track on the Barnstaple Town layout!!

I hope you enjoyed looking, please feel free to get in touch if you would like to know more.
Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Now I am fully retired I hope to get to a few more exhibitions next year. Ilfracombe is not a show I have

previously been to, but should now be in range, so I will look out for that.

cheers

Excellent,

There isn't any official date or place for the exhibition yet, but traditionally it will be around Easter and most likely in Ilfracombe but full details will be posted when they are finalised.

Please make yourself known when you pop along and say hello.

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

Hello All!

I hope you're all doing well - this week was another laid back session at the club. Several of us took the opportunity to run some stock on the layouts and during the tea break we had some serious discussions about a number of club items, such as perhaps starting a new layout - and then the practicalities of where would we fit a new layout in the clubroom; should we assess what we have and decide if we want to keep or dispose of items it was all very interesting.
My plan for the night was to try and get some photos of the N Gauge section layout Pointless #2 - this is a scaled down version of an older 00 Gauge plan which was called 'Pointless'

spacer.png

This is an overview of most of Pointless #2; its about three feet wide by six long and is very sturdily built. The track plan is essentially a double track circuit figure of eight - but folded in on itself so there are two figures of eight on the layout and your train doesn't always appear where you think it should. One nice feature is there is a station with four tracks passing through - but in reality it is the same loops passing through twice but gives the illusion of a much larger station.
spacer.png
The close-up doesnt do it many favours but at a normal viewing distance it is very effective - you can see the Pannier Tank and Terrier are on seperate loops heading in different directions.
spacer.png

Central feature on the layout is the impressive viaduct crossing the lake on the highest level, from down here it has an impressive sense of scale - there is also another set of lines descending to pass through the slightly larger arch while there are several boaters on the lake.
spacer.png
All three sets of double track lines here are on different levels and gradients - I liked this shot as it reminded me of London Transport Panniers hurrying along on their duties travelling with stores to Lillie Bridge, Neasden or Croxley Tip. You can just stand or sit and watch trains pass by quite happlily.

spacer.png

Last photo from Pointless #2 for now, but the LT Pannier L.94 hurries through the station - perhaps getting out of the way of a Metropolitan Line train behind it with the fantastic viaduct behind.

On Staverton & Buckfastleigh, several members brought some rolling stock to run:
spacer.png

I like this shot, being framed through the arch of the bridge that has been replaced on the Staverton Board - I barely got my camera out of the way before I was almost run over - this Class 37 looks resplendent in its livery:
spacer.png

In its Colas Rail Orange, Yellow & Black livery hauling some wagons filled with scrap and ballast here through Buckfastleigh - the model has a real presence and ran fantastically - in fact all apart from my own models ran brilliantly, my own Terrier just decided to derail on its own accord.
spacer.png

Another member brought this a fantastic EFE Beattie Wells Tank in Southern Lined Freight livery - this glid silently around the layout with ease pulling some coaches for quite a while - I really enjoy watching the connecting rods move on these models.
spacer.png

My own A1x Terrier from Dapol, this loco just didn't like the track on the viaduct and kept derailing - however Brighton (also from Dapol) last week ran without issue over the same track. I haven't investigated but I wonder if there is a difference between them underneath. Here it is at Staverton arriving with some coaches.

We have discussed replacing the track on the viaduct because it isn't a perfect curve there are kinks and odd joins as well as a check rail all which might contribute to some issues we have on that module - not just exclusively related to my own model we've had several derailments at that section. It also needs ballasting so would be a good time to try and relay it in a single preformed section as best we can. On the other linking boards I haven't shown for Buckfastleigh and Staverton is a road passing next to the track - I've suggested we look at upgrading that and the level crossing on that module to look similar to the road adjacent to the line at Eggesford with the level crossing at an acute angle off of the main road.

spacer.png
The P-way will be busy with fresh ballast!

Two of the N Gauge Ilfracombe Boards are now in the clubroom, some scenery work on forming some hillsides was underway with card formers and plaster bandage there are still two more boards to come to the club one forming the climb out of the station and the fourth is the fiddleyard board. When they're all in the layout wiring and scenery will be attended to - the members have built a clever custom jig to take a single board bolted in at table height and flip it over securely so the underside is face up at a reasonable working height. If any of this sounds interesting to you and you might be thinking of coming along and seeing what we're about, we meet on Friday nights at 8pm til 10pm. We have a room above the Undertakers on Wilder Road in Ilfracombe, the post code is EX34 8BL and there is a car park on the opposite side of the road to the club room and currently parking there is free after 6pm (but please check the sign yourself for confirmation). We also have a break for tea/coffee & biscuits/cake mid-way through the night. There is also an extensive library of books as well as space to work on club projects or bring your own project along for some help & advice.

Feel free to drop me a message if you like - we can sort something out so its not intimidating walking into a new club alone.
Kind Regards,
Gary

Edited by Matloughe
Missed a photo & caption
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Good Evening All!!

I hope all is well; its been a bit quiet on the update front for several reasons. The club has sadly lost a long-time member and time has been spent sorting the layouts out and organising for the show.

Out show this year is going to be held at The Landmark Theatre in Ilfracombe, post code for Satnav is EX34 9BZ or alternatively for those who use what3words to help them navigate you'll find the combination of: bulletins.postings.slowness to be of some assistance in finding the show. It is going to be held on Saturday 30th March 2024 (Easter Saturday) and run from 10am to 4pm.

I have attached a picture of the flyer below - those who are local may have seen these around North Devon.

spacer.png

There will be approximately 10 Layouts on Display, including from Ilfracombe MRS:

'Ilfracombe in N' - a layout I have deliberately not photographed as it is underconstruction but will be operational for the show.
'Buckfastleigh & Staverton' - A large 00 layout with a station on each of the long sides, operated from the centre.
'Ashcombe Down' - An end-to-end O Gauge layout.

I believe we have some guest layouts including one from Barnstaple MRC and some private individuals - there will be a couple of traders as well as a well-stocked secondhand stall of model items and books from the club should something be of interest. I also believe this year is the first year we will be accepting Card payments for entry and sales from Ilfracombe MRS.

Now for a mini-update, be it a good idea or not - but one of the end boards of 'Buckfastleigh and Staverton' was looking decidedly bare and as foolhardy as it may seem it was decided to give it a spruce up and some alterations before the show. I have a sneak peak below of the work in progress, please excuse the messy background - I always say you need to make a mess to be creative:
spacer.png

So from the last time it was viewed, the track has been reballasted to match the profile of the boards eitherside - a large collection of Superquick mockTudor houses has been swept away in favour of the two Victorian Semi-Detached houses seen here. The main road and lane infront of the houses has had some texture applied and planning is underway for more scenery on this section.
I'm hoping by the show it will have some ground cover, the gardens be established with boundaries of hedges and fences (I am tempted to put a 009, wagon in one garden on a panel of track for tha rail enthusiast that lives there) as well as some fencing. The idea is this board will become a 'prototype' for refurbishing more of the scenery on the layout and allow all members to get stuck in and have a go. It will be interesting to see what progress has been made - but you'll have to come to the show to see for yourself!!

If getting stuck in and 'having a go' sounds interesting please let me know, we meet on Friday nights at 8pm til 10pm. We have a room above the Undertakers on Wilder Road in Ilfracombe, the post code is EX34 8BL and there is a car park on the opposite side of the road to the club room and currently parking there is free after 6pm (but please check the sign yourself for confirmation). We also have a break for tea/coffee & biscuits/cake mid-way through the night. There is also an extensive library of books as well as space to work on club projects or bring your own project along for some help & advice.

Feel free to drop me a message if you like - we can sort something out so its not intimidating walking into a new club alone.

It might be a little hectic in the run-up to the show but we're a friendly bunch; there is always time to give something a run or get the PVA Glue or Soldering Iron out.

Kind Regards,
Gary

Edited by Matloughe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With less than two weeks to go I thought I would share the layouts scheduled to attend the Ilfracombe MRS annual show on Easter Saturday 30th March.

Buckfastleigh & Staverton - Our Clubs 00 Gauge Layout, measuring 17 feet by 10 feet and having a station on either side and some freelance scenery on the ends this layout is being upgraded with some new scenery a replacement control panel for Buckfastleigh as well as new point motors fitted we're planing to run this as a preservation era layout with club members stock.

Ashmoor Vale - This is the O Gauge layout from the club - measuring a might 48 feet long and two feet wide, this layout is somewhere on the Devon/Somerset border and features a through station with a wharf scene and plenty of scratchbuilt buildings this can operate using DC or DCC at the same time! Thanks to some ingenious wiring under the boards.

Pointless 2 - This is from out N Gauge section and is a continious run consisting of double track folded in on itself in a double figure of eight with multiple levels so you're not quite sure where your train will emerge from next!

Ilfracombe - This under construction N Gauge Layout is approximately 16 feet long and is a true to prototype model. This has been shown before in an incomplete state but lots of work has been undertaken on the wiring of the layout so this year we hope to be able to run the first train into Ilfracombe for a long time!

Blaendare Road - A 00 Gauge layout from Barnhill MRC; A small terminus set high above Pontypool in the late 1950's through to the 1960's. With plenty of Goods traffic and passenger workings a very atmospheric BR(W) layout.

Nicton Borrud - A 00 Finescale layout from Barnstaple MRC, set somewhere in the hills of Hampshire this terminus is set in the late steam and early diesel period and features lots of area specific detail including some Southern Electric 3rd Rail EMU's.

Hornby 3-Rail - From Len Watson a selection of Hornby Dublo 3-Rail showing how the hobby has changed over time and introducing some nostalgia.

Shunting Puzzle - a G Scale layout where the viewer is encouraged to 'have a go' and solve the puzzle in as few moves as possible. There are no right or wrong ways to do it; just so long s you have fun with the large scale models.

Hounslow Sidings - A 00 Finescale layout by Raymond Norwood. Set in the South-London Suburbs this layout is a winter scene of the station yard with plenty of shunting to be had! DCC controlled and plenty of sounds from the locomotives to make an authentic scene.

Dads Army - An N Gauge layout set to the theme of the famous TV show in Walmington-on-Sea.

Building in O Gauge & Display - by Eddie Michel
Eddie, an IMRS member will have a table set up and be demonstrating the techniques of building brass kits in O Gauge as well as a display of some of the previous locomotive and rolling stock kits he has built.

We will also have a stand from the Ilfracombe Museum as well as two traders: Marks Models of Ilfracombe and Smallworld from Barnstaple. As a Model society we will also have a small stand of second hand items which will be available to purchase; all proceds from the Ilfracombe MRS Stand will be re-used by the club for more model making activities.

Out show this year is going to be held at The Landmark Theatre in Ilfracombe, post code for Satnav is EX34 9BZ or alternatively for those who use what3words to help them navigate you'll find the combination of: bulletins.postings.slowness to be of some assistance in finding the show. It is going to be held on Saturday 30th March 2024 (Easter Saturday) and run from 10am to 4pm.

Kind Regards,
Gary