RMweb

Remembrance Day 2023

• 3 weeks later...

I attended the Remembrance Day events in London this year. On the Saturday, Armistice Day, I began my pilgrimage at the Unknown Warrior memorial at Victoria station, and the Memorial for the SECR Railways workers, then proceeded to Westminster Abbey for a brief glimpse of the Unknown Warriors Tomb. After that, with 1100hrs approaching, I went to Churchill’s statue in Parliament Square. I was a bit cautious, anticipating a bit of trouble there, but all was quiet and respectful (although I could see the Cenotaph I was not aware of any problems there).

On the Sunday I took part in the veterans parade at the Cenotaph, marching with the ‘Fisgard Association’. This association is for those of us who joined the RN at HMS Fisgard, a training establishment in Cornwall, to begin our Artificer Apprenticeships. This was my third time participating and despite a bit of drizzle on Horse Guards, as we prepared to march off, the weather cleared up and I ‘enjoyed’ another emotional experience. 

After we had fallen out on Horse Guards, having paid our respects to Princess Anne taking the salute, it was off to a pub for the afternoon then a slightly wobbly stroll back to Victoria Coach Station for my return to Cornwall.

All in all a thoroughly worthwhile effort and I recommend it to all those who have never attended before, in whatever capacity you may qualify.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6