GWR ex-Barry Railway Class D 0-8-0

Thank you for your kind comments.

You're almost right. Not quite cancelled, but unpaid by the Swedish and Norwegian Railway, and so returned to the maker (Sharp Stewart) who re-sold them to the Barry Railway.

Full details in Ref 5 (above).

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Barry bought them for the short-haul but very heavy transfers between Cadoxton Yard and the dock lines.  The layout at Cadoxton Jc was of four roads, two pairs of up and down, and there were two pairs of crossings from the yard.  In order to minimise the length of time the junction was blocked by these slow-moving 100-wagon coal trains, the usual practice was to run two of them in tandem, heading for the four roads that descended the incline to the dock level.  One pair led to no.1 dock and the other to no.2.  Observing this move from the eastern end of Cadoxton's island platform must have been spectucular, as one passed either side of you going flat out at maybe 10mph...

Watching them returning in tandem off the dock up the bank with 100 empties each would have been impressive as well!  Cadoxton yard was a sizeable installation on both sides of the Barry Main Line towards Pontypridd, and it is still a bit of a shock for me to see 1970s housing on the site when I pass it.  It remained in use for stabling wagons for a few years after the main line closed in 1963, but was gone by 1970.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I really enjoy looking at your South Wales locos and this D class really got me interested. With my Grandparents living in Barry and overlooking the railway my interest in Great Western and the Barry Railway was, I suppose, natural. Anyway back to your model, it is only the 3rd 00 model that I know about, the first was built by Dr Charles Donovan which I saw in about 1990 and his models inspired me to model the Barry Railway. The second is my own scratch built model, details are somewhere on my Llanforen thread, this completed models of each Barry class of locos. Finally there is your superb effort, well done.

Brian

• Like 2

Thanks all, very interesting.  Wikipedia says the Barry Class D were a standard Sharp Stewart design originally intended for the Swedish & Norwegian Railway.  I know nothing about the NSWGR, but this was presumably another Sharp Steward order, leading to the family resemblance.  Regardless of that, it's a very handsome loco, especially in the dark red livery.  I find I want one too.

• Like 1

The NSWGR locos that inspired this build all had "porthole cabs" designed by William Thow.https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/thow-william-8801

The 2-8-0 T class (later D50) were designed in conjunction with Beyer Peacock  and were delivered from 1896. Sharp Stewart were never involved. Many classes of NSWGR locos shared the same style of cab. Here are some of my images:

051210Central25Sep05.jpg.5242babad4f041b68a3a0075b33e53ca.jpg

061904Dorrigo11Aug89.jpg.b73f16fed3d11e5f46cb214ec673be77.jpg

102413asECNSWNo6BotanyExchangeSidings25Aug67b-noteZ19classtender.jpg.0537cf4ed1bf9f716f457ce665789950.jpg

113265Central1967.jpg.b3c939284561d4590b19d420fde82ca9.jpg

315139Lithgowyard19Aug70.JPG.23aa4a037b4b6087a215879c0fed3473.JPG

345482Hexham18Aug71.JPG.435c1dddafa6c1c35e12aa2754205d62.JPG

34a5597slastrunonshortnorth23Jul67.JPG.1ca01cfe8c0fee7a73fb9f1d101b23e3.JPG

There were several other classes that disappeared before I had the chance to see and photograph them.

I could find no link between Thow's designs and the Barry Class D. I remains a mystery for me.

I hope this departure from the main topic was of some interest.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3

Thanks for the additional information about the NSWGR locos.  If they are mostly BP designs then the family resemblance with the Barry class D remains a mystery, as you say.  I had a look at the engine diagram in the Russell book on GWR absorbed engines and the class D is quite a small loco, for an 0-8-0.  I wonder if the size is comparable with the NSWGR loco, or whether they only look the same when not placed side by side.

G'day, Camperdown,

Thanks for your query. I'm afraid the Barry and NSWGR locos just look generally similar in style. They are different in detail as seen when comparing GA drawings:

BarryRlyClassDdrg2.JPG.d413f105fddb3b0f5eb0f55b45201e21.JPG

Tclassdrawing-asbuilt.jpg.cff68ca1cca9d40bf3329a15b190d05b.jpg

I hope this clarifies things.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1