If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

‘Isle of Wight’ in Cornwall

Deeps

Hello fellow members. I have been a casual observer of Rmweb for many years and thoroughly enjoyed the discussions and inspirations. As I occasionally felt I had useful contributions to make I decided it was time to join.

My interest in railway modelling began in the early 1960’s, as a youngster on the Isle of Wight, and after a few basic layouts my activities were put on hold when I joined the Royal Navy in 1974. I ended up serving 34 years, most of that time as a nuclear engineer in the Submarine Service. The various bits of rolling stock etc. were carefully boxed up and then religiously transferred between the loft spaces of a succession of family homes. Probably a familiar story for several readers.

I am now retired and have started what I hope will be my final layout, predominantly based on the Isle of Wight system, in OO gauge, in our home in Cornwall. I am a dedicated ‘steam nut’ and have a love of all LSWR/Southern Railway locomotives, so the layout will be engineered to allow me to run express locomotives on occasions. Even so I have a few locomotives from other regions, that I find interesting, such as the LNER ‘Hush Hush’, which I will probably use for a pick-up goods service (please excuse my wit).

I have also dabbled in OO9 gauge and am currently building a 3.5 inch gauge King Arthur. During the late 60’s I volunteered at the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Society and regularly fired their primary engine ‘Cloister’.

’Deeps’ is an RN (general service) term for submariners.

Jim 

Edited by Deeps
Spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1