Salute to the RhB Ge4/4ii’s, retirement starts in December 2023

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

If you select auto translate in settings and switch captions on you will get subtitles in English. 

50 years old,

613, 614, 616, 617 & 618 retiring as not fitted with new train protection system and 619 retiring due to traction motor failure. 

(628 already scrapped due to crash damage)

IMG_1319.jpeg.68327fb16126c03467b75994946685c0.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg.8b2d8025f5a6a16f85c2aba11aee53cc.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg.ea2bfdcf524716141723b0f6f7e8e887.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg.77f7560e40adf5a70f053ff71aa2cb8c.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg.057e782b477e40300446ac4301ab5e1d.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg.45420e3e1e1069be46c00782f4b30135.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

From the video description 

“In general, however, the locomotives are "threatened with extinction", because the RE train services are transferred to modern multiple units and thus essentially the BoBo2 remains for the Glacier Express trains and a number of freight trains - but for the Albula Freight trains usually require two Ge 4/4 II series engines in double traction in order to meet the route-related maximum permissible to be able to exploit towing capacities. 

From summer 2024, the Ge 4/4 II will be used again in Arosa, because the Allegra usually used there will be needed for the Bernina Express - this in turn depends on the Decommissioning of the Bernina railcars ABe 4/4 Ill.

Due to the high number of procured Capircorn multiple units the 4/4ii will probably be retired at the end of 2023. At the end of October 2023, the following machines of the first series had not yet been converted to the Train protection system ZS1127: locomotive 613, locomotive 614, Locomotive 616, Locomotive 617 and Locomotive 618. This means that these locomotives will not be used from the beginning of the year. 
More is possible in 2024, because without ZS1127 the locomotives can no longer be operated. 

The exception is probably that if the ZS1127 is defective, a co-driver has to ride along. Another exception is double traction, only the leading locomotive has to have ZS1127 - but then it would have to be rearranged on the return trip, which is very time-consuming.

We will therefore definitely have to say goodbye to locomotive 613, locomotive 616, locomotive 617 and locomotive 618 in December 2023. And locomotive 619 too, of course. “

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

Very sad to see these go, even if we knew it was coming.   Apart from anything else, in my view one of the handsomest electric locos in Swizterland - really rather cute!

Still, as they've pointed out, it's not completely the end for them all and shouldn't be for quite a while.  

Edited by 37201xoIM
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

There's also another vid from the same producer, apparently the remaining non-Bernina EW1 cars also go in December, with the exception of the Barenland cars and a couple headed for the heritage fleet.

Sad to see these go as you could open every window. We were ascending the Poschiavo side of the Bernina pass last year and got on a crowded train at Brusio. The baking sun meant people were nodding off but once I opened our window many others followed suit and not only was it pleasantly cool but the coach came alive once more 😉

They were brilliant on the main system especially if you sat at the rear end so opening the window didn’t blast everyone with the wind. Great views and easy to photograph from. We found with the Capricorns the limited windows meant often people were already sat there with them closed and they are a fair bit narrower. Allegra’s are more limited. The observation car in the Alvra sets is great but gets crowded because it’s the only place to open windows so you get some people hanging out right in front of you blocking the forward views and no way to move back to avoid them. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ll really miss the EWI too, a big part of the attraction of Swiss metre gauge was being able to really savour it - the fresh mountain air, the pine forests, the warm sun … all through an open window. Why would anyone want to sit in an air conditioned glass box instead?

I’ve noticed on recent visits though that the locals seem to really frown on having the window down, even on warm days. It seems they don’t like the noise, which even with flange squeal in a tunnel would still be less than anyone who ever commuted by Pacer put up with on a daily basis!

I only hope that the ones in the heritage fleet get some regular exercise. With the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn also going for new units in a big way, I suspect I might be spending a lot more time walking on future Swiss trips.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

I’ve noticed on recent visits though that the locals seem to really frown on having the window down, even on warm days.

That seems to be a common reaction from 'locals' in mainland Europe!

My one journey on an Alvra set so far has been from Chur to Filisur a few years ago.  Myself and two friends got in the observation section before the train set off; there were a few other 'tourists' in there already (some American girls I seem to remember).  We opened the windows as one is evidently expect to do, from the design of them.  The other Tourists hadn't realised you could do that, but thought it was a Good Thing and followed suit.  Just before departure time, an elderly local couple with their shopping got in the observation section, and promptly closed the windows!  And looked daggers at anyone who looked as though they might open them again.  The whole of the rest of the train has non-opening windows!

Being therefore unable to open the windows we tried to enjoy the journey looking through glass, but I thought the central, longitudinal seat layout in that section didn't lend itself to enjoying the view as much as conventional fore and aft seats in the rest of the train, as your view of the foreground is just a blurred vision of it speeding past you, and you can't enjoy the view of where you're heading towards (or have come from).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In his book on Swiss habbits, "Swiss Watching", Diccon Bewes mentions the Swiss hatred of draughts in any shape or form: "as for opening a train window on anything less than the hottest day of the century, forget it."

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

on recent visits though that the locals seem to really frown on having the window down

Back in 2008 I had the window down and was moaned at in French so I closed it, then all the locals got up and smiling opened all the windows at the front end! The French speaker left the coach and our window came down again :) 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...

It looks like there are many other things going on at the RhB that might be contributing to the lack of demand for Ge4/4 II’s … and everything else:

https://www.bahnonline.ch/61325/produktionsanpassungen-bei-der-rhb/

There’s some pretty drastic service cuts in there - Davos to Filisur almost completely replaced by buses for example. The additional Rhine Gorge trains are gone this year and although the Krok scheduled trains remain, using them without any other trains between Davos and Filisur isn’t exactly going to be attractive.

I was already considering giving Graubunden a miss on my Swiss trip in 2024 - this pretty much confirms that decision. The RhB seems to be rapidly becoming a shadow of its former self.

Mark

The article suggests this is caused primarily by driver shortages rather than a lack of demand, and that many new drivers are in training to fill the vacancies. I can't comment on whether that's the only cause though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

The article suggests this is caused primarily by driver shortages rather than a lack of demand, and that many new drivers are in training to fill the vacancies. I can't comment on whether that's the only cause though.

Agree - I’ve worked in journalism and media relations for long enough to know that the truth will be much more complicated than conveyed. 

Mark

• RMweb Gold

As noted it’s a driver shortage so they’ve cancelled trips to reduce the overtime burden and note several normal services are only until April. The special trips and Landwasser Shuttle are sensible pauses until they have more of the new staff a little more experienced. 
For a small system like the RhB a shortage of drivers is a major issue, note several UK operators having drastic cuts for similar reasons. The RhB is hardly a shadow of its former self ;) the system has long had a heavy reliance on railcars and the Capricorns and Allegra’s have only replaced the very old Ge4/4i’s, Ge6/6ii’s and now the 1973 batch of 4/4ii’s on the main system so all locos over 50 years old. 
Note freeing up Allegra’s for the Bernina means the Ge4/4ii’s will be back on the Arosa in the summer season and that was historically a railcar only line apart from the other short loco interlude after the AC conversion. 

https://www.20min.ch/story/graubuenden-zu-wenig-lokfuehrer-rhb-streicht-diverse-verbindungen-103028145

Overview of adjustments
RE4 Landquart - Scuol-Tarasp
The RE4 trains from Landquart to Scuol-Tarasp are only run to Sagliains. Travelers from Landquart to Scuol change to the R15 (Pontresina - Scuol) in Sagliains (and vice versa).

RE16 marginal trains Chur - Arosa
Marginal time trains until six o'clock in the morning and in the evening from 8 p.m. are run by train replacement buses.

RE6 additional trains Chur - Arosa in the summer season
On the weekend in the summer season (additional trains), one train runs Chur - Arosa (and vice versa) with train replacement buses.

RE7 marginal trains Ilanz - Disentis/Mustér
A pair of trains in the evening will be led with a train replacement.

R11 Davos - Filisur
The R11 trains are generally run by replacement buses. In the summer season between May and October, six pairs of trains run daily, in the high season in July and August ten pairs of trains every day. The historic train continues to run twice a day between May and October.

R27 Adventure train Ruinaulta
The adventure train Ruinaulta will be cancelled without replacement.
S1/S2 (Thusis -) Rhäzüns - Schiers
The S-Bahn trains between Thusis, resp. Rhäzüns and Schiers are only led from and to Landquart. Travelers from/to Malans, Seewis-Pardisla, Grüsch and Schiers change to the RE13 / RE24 Landquart - Davos / - Sagliains / - St. Moritz (and vice versa) in Landquart. Due to the short perro lengths, an exit between Landquart and Schiers is only possible in the train parts to Sagliains resp. St. Moritz possible.

Full moon trips
The full moon trips will be cancelled without replacement.

Steam trips
The steam trips will be cancelled until at least the end of March 2024.

Landwassershuttle
The new Landwasser shuttle will not be launched until the summer of 2025.

Sled trains
From the 8th to the 26th January 2024, the toboggan trains between Bergün and Preda are cancelled from Monday to Friday. Reduced operation of the toboggan trains in February.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

I’m not basing my thoughts on the old loco vs unit debate. I’d prefer to be in an EWI, but I have to admit the Allegra and Capricorn are very decent trains. 

I’m more basing it on the fact that I don’t believe the RhB of even a few years ago would have had months of bus replacements. It also feels like the Bernina and Albula lines are increasingly seen as of much greater importance than everything else. I think Davos has probably suffered more than most. The Landquart-Davos line has felt like it was seen as a lesser route even before Covid.

I hope it’s a blip, I still love travelling on the RhB. I’m a long day out kind of person who likes to squeeze a lot in - so buses on the later and earlier trains is a massive turn off for me. 

I commented to someone the other day that Graubunden seems to get far less attention from marketing to international visitors than it once did. The Jungfrau area seems to be pulling that off better than most these days - certainly for summer visitors. Perhaps there’s a bigger trend at play?

Mark

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

I’m more basing it on the fact that I don’t believe the RhB of even a few years ago would have had months of bus replacements. It also feels like the Bernina and Albula lines are increasingly seen as of much greater importance than everything else. I think Davos has probably suffered more than most. The Landquart-Davos line has felt like it was seen as a lesser route even before Covid.

Well they shut down the Scuol to Saglians section for months four years ago for work. 
They built a temporary platform extension at Susch to allow the longer trains to stop. So not that unusual. 

IMG_7625.jpeg.3addf2af844fc6a9e59806ed915e9752.jpeg

IMG_7631.jpeg.ee87e7851db997ce6951ce1ea0207c7b.jpeg

Considering the Capricorns were brought in for the Davos ‘Big Train’, multiples of four cars, service I think Davos does ok it’s just the Davos to Filisur section that’s bit of a backwater since the Engadine tunnel opened but sensibly kept as a diversionary route. 
It’s true the style of the RhB has changed and I’m also not convinced that trying to follow the SBB slavishly suits Graubunden. The Capricorns ‘big train’ has already been admitted to not work as they thought and I’d be looking to restore standard couplings so they can haul a couple of wagons instead. It seems daft they now send a loco specially to do the freight run to Davos using up the passenger paths they saved. 

So I think shadow of it’s former self is a bit strong, 😉 it’s changed which I’m a bit dubious about certain things like the ‘big train’ but it’s still fascinating to watch shunting and just how busy the freight was back in 23 at Davos and Samedan. 

Davos 

IMG_4821.jpeg.ed3defc16752338e8f16f0ed9a44e777.jpeg

IMG_2986.jpeg.b3cea3b3b482127b60ed1611bd598a69.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg.76027add095b92cef04c6e8d658be958.jpeg

Samedan over about an hour,

IMG_3323.jpeg.f8d0ee6f10e0bf353aec9716fefa152c.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg.90367d845f5c2a47f6462a062e90fbac.jpeg

IMG_3300.jpeg.411303ff17498aef673758953aaae764.jpeg

IMG_3306.jpeg.9402ccb6a8aa77f9b7731bacfa52651e.jpeg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The Capricorns ‘big train’ has already been admitted to not work as they thought and I’d be looking to restore standard couplings so they can haul a couple of wagons instead. 

Being on board during a coupling is an experience to say the least - anyone who isn’t expecting it or steady on the feet is going to be stumbling at best. I wonder if anyone has actually been hurt. Presumably they need quite a thump to join reliably? 

Incidentally I did see a passenger totally wiped out by the retracting steps on a Capricorn at Wiesen. It turns out the steps retract before the doors actually shut, so at a low platform the step can be literally taken away from underneath passengers.

I suspect a moderately updated Allegra (or something similar to the Zentralbahn Adler sets) would have been a whole lot better. 

Mark

• Agree 1