Wi-fi with out internet

rogerdee

Ok guys 

Can I set up a WiFi network with out it being connected to the internet,so I could connect a camara or door bell to my phone when at home or in the shed or other WiFi enabled items and off so how?.

Pretty simple terms as not really Tec savvy.

Thanks  Roger 

Yes, but you might need to change a setting in the 'phone (at least if it's Android) to connect to a network with no internet.

You need a wireless access point or router. Be sure to change the network name (SSID) and admin password away from the defaults.

The individual items should have instructions on how to connect them. These days it can be as easy as pressing a button or two and everything is setup automagically.

• Agree 1

Just unplug the phone connection, but many camera systems store in the cloud thus need internet access, unless your does local storage like mine but my clips only transfer every 24 hours.

Edited by RAF96

1 hour ago, rogerdee said:

Ok thanks

but something I should have clarified is that I don't have a pc or laptop to configure a router so is it still possible with just a smartphone?.

Do-able as usually the configuration is through a webpage on the devices being setup.    But its going to be tricky negotiating a very small screen on a phone for a page designed for a much larger computer screen.  

I'd not recommend the approach.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have done both TPlink and Draytek routers via a phone in the last couple of years without any major issues as they have a mobile friendly interface.

The issue with many doorbell cameras (and other loud based services) is they want a web service to operate even if you are at home